Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To DCPROMO or Manually transfer FSMO roles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To DCPROMO or Manually transfer FSMO roles?

Eventually we will be bringing our first DC out of commission. We will have 2 other DC's in operation by then.

As I understand it DCPROMO will automatically reasign the FSMO roles to a new server if you DCPROMO a server that is handling one or more FSMO roles.

Is it best to transfer the roles manually before I remove the first DC or is it safe to let DCPROMO do it's magic? We will not care which DC get's the FSMO roles after the original DC is gone.
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: To DCPROMO or Manually transfer FSMO roles?

leave it and the system will handle that for you if you are in a single domain, if you are in multi domain env , plan for your GC and inf. master placement

check this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223346

Comment

An excellent article well worth reading. http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

In all the DCs I have replaced, I have NEVER had one magically transfer the roles on their own accord.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        An excellent article well worth reading. http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

In all the DCs I have replaced, I have NEVER had one magically transfer the roles on their own accord.

Just to clarify. DCPROMO will not reassign the FSMO roles when it's used to depromote a DC that is holding one or more of the roles?

If so then Mr. Minasi was mistaken.

Either way I will be testing this out in an isolated environment. Be interesting to see what happens when I DCPROMO the DC holding all the roles.

-Bill

Comment

Not knowing what Mark Minasi said makes answering that question impossible but whatever he said, he was not mistaken. However it may be worth you reading it again to see what exactly he was refering to. I have an idea what it may have been that he was refering to (schema update comes to mind) and this being a fairly complex topic, it takes a while to get your head around it.

As per Daniel's easy to follow article, I will transfer the FSMO Roles to the new DC (seize the Roles if Transfer has a problem) and then DCPROMO and then remove the server from the domain.

Have a read of this and see if that helps in your understanding of the FSMO Roles. http://www.petri.com/understanding_fsmo_roles_in_ad.htm

Testing in a non production environment is an excellent idea with Virtual being even better. No need to rebuild a base install each time.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Found the quote.

From Mastering Windows Server 2003 by Mark Minasi.

"NOTE Actually, there is one case where AD automatically moves the FSMO role: when you use DCPROMO to demote a domain controller that holds one or more FSMO roles into a member server. DCPROMO finds another appropriate domain controller and moves the FSMO roles to that DC. In that case, decommisioning the Pentium 200 would have resulted in no problems. So perhaps the best advice here is, 'When you want to get rid of a domain controller, always use DCPROMO to decommission it before FDISKing it.'"

When he talks about the Pentium 200 system he's refering to an example where a domain was originally setup on an old test machine but then the company brought in several more powerful servers as DC's. One of the techs, without knowing it, took the Pentium 200 box offline and installed Linux on it. In doing so he took down the DC holding all the FSMO roles.

This is the first time I've heard of the FSMO roles being transfered without the Admin manually doing the transfer.

I'll be testing this out next week in with a few 2003-SP2-R2 boxes.

-Bill

EDIT - This book was published in 2003 so no doubt it doesn't cover most of the changes since Server 2003 was released.

Comment

Working...
            X