Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious problem

Hi folks !

I have one really big problem with domain. I tryed to create new domain controller under existing one. The old one is windows 2000 and the new one W2K3 Enterprise with SP2.
    Now let me explain my situation. This process I made repeatedly with the same result !

On existing domain I ran adprep /forestprep, adprep /domainprep and adprep /domainprep /gpprep. Everything work fine. On new controller I have installed DNS and run dcpromo. I have successfully created new domain under existing one. To this point is all beautiful! Under DNS I saw new domain registration. Hmm but after one or two restarts of new server, something stupid was happening.

1. At the computer startup displays window's message " Preparing network connection" - this usually disapears after few seconds, in my case it takes about 3 minutes. Then displayed message, that at least one service failed during startup.

2. After system finally starts, there is no network connections under conection
    properties, also disapears the icon with the networking computers in the taskbar.

3. When I tryed to run frsdiag.msi - utility for replication diagnostic, only error about failed windows installer service apears on screen. As I looked into the services, I saw, that this service was stopped. At the attempt to start it displayed error: Could not start service error 14007.

Somewhere I have read, that this causes stupid microsoft's SP2 on windows 2003 server. Please help !!!!

Re: Serious problem

Not sure.., but have a look at NIC of server.
    Cheers!!
    MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Originally posted by entadm View Post
      Not sure.., but have a look at NIC of server.
      This happens on server and on virtual PC too. The NIC is Realtek on server, on virtual PC is microsoft loopback adapter

Comment

Have you taken a look at your event logs to see what service is failing to start at startup? If you do not have any network connections appearing in your network connections folder you might want to make sure that the "network connections" service is started. If that service is stopped, you will not be able to manage your network connections though Windows, that is my experience anyways
        Justin
        A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Originally posted by justinmirsky View Post
          Have you taken a look at your event logs to see what service is failing to start at startup? If you do not have any network connections appearing in your network connections folder you might want to make sure that the "network connections" service is started. If that service is stopped, you will not be able to manage your network connections though Windows, that is my experience anyways
          After running dcpromo, there was no errors at all in system/application/DNS/Domain or Data replication events. After only one reboot at startup pindows shows error with at least one service failed during startup, the logon screen appears after cca 2 minutes. Now can I find in events these errors:

Application: Source: Userenv id: 1053 - Windows cannot determine the user or computer name

System: Source: IPSec Id: 4292 - The IPSec driver has entered Block mode. IPSec will discard all inbound and outbound TCP/IP network traffic that is not permitted by boot-time IPSec Policy exemptions. User Action: To restore full unsecured TCP/IP connectivity, disable the IPSec services, and then restart the computer. For detailed troubleshooting information, review the events in the Security event log.

Source: Netlogon ID: 5706 - The Netlogon service could not create server share C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\root.intelsoft.sk\SCRIPTS . The following error occurred:
          The remote procedure call failed.

Source: SAM ID:12291 - SAM failed to start the TCP/IP or SPX/IPX listening thread

Source: LsaSrv id: 32777 - The LSA was unable to register its RPC interface over the TCP/IP interface. Please make sure that the protocol is properly installed.

Source Netlogon ID: 5782 - Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed with the following error:
          No DNS servers configured for local system.

Directory service: Source: NTDS Backup Id: 1913 - Internal error: The Active Directory backup and restore operation encountered an unexpected error.

Backup or restore will not succeed until this is corrected.

Additional Data
          Error value:
          1062 The service has not been started.
          Internal ID:
          160200fa

Source: NTDS General ID: 1168 -Internal error: An Active Directory error has occurred.

Additional Data
          Error value (decimal):
          Error value (hex):
          76b
          Internal ID:

DNS Server: Source: DNS ID: 6702 - DNS server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to ensure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.

If this DNS server does not have any DS-integrated peers, then this error
          should be ignored.

If this DNS server's Active Directory replication partners do not have the correct IP address(es) for this server, they will be unable to replicate with it.

To ensure proper replication:
          1) Find this server's Active Directory replication partners that run the DNS server.
          2) Open DnsManager and connect in turn to each of the replication partners.
          3) On each server, check the host (A record) registration for THIS server.
          4) Delete any A records that do NOT correspond to IP addresses of this server.
          5) If there are no A records for this server, add at least one A record corresponding to an address on this server, that the replication partner can contact. (In other words, if there multiple IP addresses for this DNS server, add at least one that is on the same network as the Active Directory DNS server you are updating.)
          6) Note, that is not necessary to update EVERY replication partner. It is only necessary that the records are fixed up on enough replication partners so that every server that replicates with this server will receive (through replication) the new data.

Source: DNS ID: 140 - The DNS server could not initialize the remote procedure call (RPC) service. If it is not running, start the RPC service or reboot the computer. The event data is the error code.

File Replication Service - no error events
          ---------------------------------------------------------
          Network adapter is properly installed, with no icon with Local Area Connection under network settings, no icon in taskbar.
          Ipconfig /all shows ip address corectly, ping to computername works, but no answer from primary domain and from domain name.

I have tryed this with two independent CDs with windows 2003 server, both has SP2 already installed (original from mrkvosoft) The first one is R1, the second one R2, both enterprise editions.

Comment

Source: Netlogon ID: 5706 - The Netlogon service could not create server share C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\root.intelsoft.sk\SCRIPTS . The following error occurred:
            The remote procedure call failed.
            Try taking a look here KB258805

Source: SAM ID:12291 - SAM failed to start the TCP/IP or SPX/IPX listening thread
            Take a look here KB307734

Source: LsaSrv id: 32777 - The LSA was unable to register its RPC interface over the TCP/IP interface. Please make sure that the protocol is properly installed
            Take a look here KB930220

Hope these help you out some. I would work on getting these errors taken care of, it seems that one or more of these errors are causing your issues because it was working until these errors popped up. I will post again if I find anymore info.
            Justin
            A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Originally posted by justinmirsky View Post
              Try taking a look here KB258805

Take a look here KB307734

Take a look here KB930220

Hope these help you out some. I would work on getting these errors taken care of, it seems that one or more of these errors are causing your issues because it was working until these errors popped up. I will post again if I find anymore info.
              Thanx, I have looked for those errors in events, and searched via google. But I think those errors have something to do with nonexisting network connection. Or some system error with network adapter. And why I think this is an SP2 error? Because I have re-installed virtual PC with old Windows 2003 Server R1 with no service pack included. The effect was that, the domain controller is now working properly on W2K3 server ! Now I'm trying to apply SP2 additionally with fear from death in my eyes when I make reboot after installation.
              What I have noticed is one little difference between adprep from old W2K3 Server CD and from the latest one. The old one adprep did'nt know paramater /gpprep, only adprep /domaninprep. Before running adprep I have to modify directory schema, because on W2000 domain was installed Exchange 2000 in the past. Now the exchange does not exist in old domain, only those schemas remains. That's why I have to make some changes with old exchange schemas - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379
              After these changes I was able to complete adprep process and successfully installed additional domain controller on the w2k3 server.

As I was writting this post, SP2 was installed on new domain. And as I thought, the same error happend after reboot. I think "mrkvo"soft ("carrot"soft) is never doing depth analysis of impact theirs own updates and SPs.

Comment

Finally I solved the problem, thanx to jcascaes.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=5866

Stupid microsoft ! Service RPC was started with Network service account, not as local system account !

Comment

Excellent! Glad you got things working.
                  Justin
                  A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Working...
                  X