trouble removing orphan domain - role owner attribute could not be read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble removing orphan domain - role owner attribute could not be read

I am having a problem removing a ophan domain. When I try and remove the domain through ntdsutil I get the error "DsRemoveDsDomainW error 0x20ae (role owner attribute could not be read)". It gives me the same error when I try to remove the ophan domain crossRef from within ADSI edit. I have followed these two articles with no solution...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q235416
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826900

Does anybody know how I can get rid of this orphan domain.

I inherited this configuration from the previous administrator so that is why it is sorta mangled. Originally we had 3 domain controllers, the pdc which held all the roles including GC, a backup which mainly served as a backup dns server, and a final dc which was behind a firewall. This firewall domain controller had a child domain installed on it and that is what I am trying to remove. It was too big of a hassle to try and get the DC behind the firewall connected up again so that is why I am removing it the manual way. The backup DC that was just doing DNS crashed and it will never be back online as well. Could this backup DC be causing this problem in any way? I have thought about removing the metadata for it to see if that would solve the problem of not being able to remove the child domain but Iím afraid that might make the situation worse. The whole reason behind this cleanup is so we can migrate our domain to windows 2003. It was my understanding that the cleanup needed to be done before the migration. I assume it won't even migrate with all this stale information. Am I correct? Is it possible to migrate and then cleanup all this metadata?

Re: trouble removing orphan domain - role owner attribute could not be read

Is a Windows2003 forest? IF yes you can install SP2 and then run ntdsutil.exe using the "metadata cleanup" for deleting first all DCs in the orphaned domain, then the domain itself.

Let us know if this is not working for you.

Regards,
    Hace a nice day,

Simone Chemelli
    MCP (Exchange 2003)

(This post is provided as-is with no warranties, expressed or otherwise, and confers no rights.)

Comment

This is a Windows 2000 Forest. Windows 2000 sp4 to be exact. The plan is to migrate to Windows 2003 server but it was my understanding you needed to do the metadata cleanup before migration.

Comment

Sorry I didn't read the your first post completly.

You must use ADSIEDIT.MSC part of the Windows Support Tools. Please install the SP4 updated version.

Be also carefull and backup all DCs system state before proceding...

Regards,
        Hace a nice day,

Simone Chemelli
        MCP (Exchange 2003)

(This post is provided as-is with no warranties, expressed or otherwise, and confers no rights.)

Comment

Working...
        X