PCs in remote site not using remote DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCs in remote site not using remote DC

I have a number of remote sites and have recently placed a DC in one of them. I have gone in and created a new site in ADS&S and pointed all it to the correct subnet. Most of the PCs at that location are using the DC to handle logons, but a few users are reporting slow logon times and when I check which DC they authenticated with its not the remote DC.

Any ideas?

Re: PCs in remote site not using remote DC

Is the DC over worked? I.e. runnging DHCP, DNS, Fileserver, Printer Server, Application server etc? Is it trying to authenticate during busy periods and reverting to a DC in another site?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

All this server does is AD authentication.

I have tried running "ipconfig /flushdns" and restarts. Is there a Event Log entry I can search for on the workstations to try to diagnose the issue?

Comment

Typically that means that the client has not been able to contact the DC to logon to.

We had this where the machine would actually logon to a server that was located round the other side of the world.

You say you have created sites. In your sites you have set the correct IP range??

Doy ou use seperate ranges for different sites?? i.e. Site 1 - 192.168.1.1-255, site 2 - 192.168.2.1-255, etc, etc, etc.

Do you have the correct server located within the site to service the logons for that site??

Is it always the same machines/users that have this problem??

Comment

I do have separate sites setup with the correct servers in them and have pointed the correct IP ranges to them (10.1.1.0/24 to main site, 10.4.1.0/24 to 7th etc...)

It seems to be totally random which user/PC uses the incorrect site, but some good news this morning as fewer users (2) reported slow log ons this morning. Im assuming they are now starting to hit the correct DC. What happens if the remote DC goes down, does it fail back to the main site DCs?

Comment

Does your client "image" contain hard coded entries to force its logon server discovery to a pre-defined list of DCs that are not in its native site?

Jas
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Nope. How would I do that?

Comment

The following should prove to be helpful to you:
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247811
                VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

only thing I can suggest is to make sure the clients are on the same subnet that youve added to the site..

perhaps they have statics for some reason? or are in a separate subnet which you havent yet added to the site?

are the pc's having the problem any different to the rest? ie have a specific gpo applying or something?

Comment

Hi, Have a look at this article:

http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/ti...34&uid=5420384

Particularly the MS fix for DFS/SysVol

Comment

on the xp client having issues

nltest /server:hostname /dsgetsite

hostname = xp workstation name

that will tell you what site the client is in.

might help troubleshoot that the client is in the same subnet which is associated with the site that has the remote DC

Comment

Working...
                      X