No announcement yet.

Password Recovery

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Recovery

Hi all

We have an application that users a domain account. The issue is that the password was not documented and we need to retrieve it without restarting or changing this password as too many services uses this password

Do any of you know how we can retrieve it

Re: Password Recovery

TBH I'm not too sure if it can be retrieved but..

Why not identify all services that use the specific account in your domain , write them down and then next time you have to change the password you know where the new password needs to be updated.

I think people forget that even though it's a service account it's still prone to cracking and should still be changed on a regular basis.

Check out the following:

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

The thing is that our database uses this password and the guy that set it up did not give a handover doc so we not sure what all uses this password and its our payment system so we cant afford to change it without knowing where all to make the changes

Well, you could try l0phtcrack or variations of it. It worked surprisingly well in the NT4 days. Can't guarantee it will work with any efficiency on NTLMv2 or better.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.