Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Reinstall the domain and save the data?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Reinstall the domain and save the data?

Hi all,

My name is Eliran, and i am a system administrator for 100 servers and 30 developers who works on Windows Server 2003 Std.

i got the AD from the lest sys admin and it in a bed shape.
    i whant to install the AD form fresh but save the name of the domain and migrite all the users and groups from the old AD.

How can i do it ?

Re: How to Reinstall the domain and save the data?

Active Directory Migration Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I know the tool bat will it be to save the domain name?

Lets say i have a domain named: "eliran.com" and i need to reinsall it whis the same name ("eliran.com") and save all the users and groups.

The way i know, i need to do is install a temp domain: "test.com" migrate all the users and groups to him uninstall "eliran.com" then reinstall "eliran.com" and migrate all the users and computers form "test.com" to "eliran.com"

Maybe some one have faster way?

Comment

Who or what ever told you this was going to be a fast and easy endeavor? This isn't something you're going knock out on a Friday afternoon after lunch. You're talking about replacing your entire AD infrastructure and everything that it touches.

Get serious and stop asking for shortcuts. You could be looking at months of planning and testing to do this right.

Garbage in, garbage out.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliran Hayun View Post
          I know the tool bat will it be to save the domain name?

Lets say i have a domain named: "eliran.com" and i need to reinsall it whis the same name ("eliran.com") and save all the users and groups.

The way i know, i need to do is install a temp domain: "test.com" migrate all the users and groups to him uninstall "eliran.com" then reinstall "eliran.com" and migrate all the users and computers form "test.com" to "eliran.com"

Maybe some one have faster way?
          One-step migration between domains with the same name can not be done. Instead of trying to rebuild from scratch, I'd try to clean up the current environment, rebuild the DCs, remedy the issues, etc...
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
          X