No announcement yet.

Active Directory users

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory users

Hi peeps,

I'm creating an application that links into AD and pulls across user information.

I've tried searching the net and have hit a few brick walls - what is the best way of storing a user image in AD?

If not, I can upload all the images to the webserver, and figure out a way of linking a user to a picture....

Any help / pointers much appriciated.

Re: Active Directory users

If this is W2K3 AD, make sure you are dealing with the correct attribute. There is a difference between thumbNailProto and photo:
    thumbNailProto is supposed to be in jpeg or gif format and is stored as octet string in AD
    photo is supposed to be compliant with X.400

P.S.: by default the user can edit attributes of his user account object that belong to "personal information" attribute set (
    Image size is limited to 100K.

Now, if you ask me, at most I'd store the URL to the image in one of the attributes in AD. Putting all the users pictures will blow the size of the AD database by magnitudes, will increase replication traffic and you will be putting in AD something that was not really designed to be stored there.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Re: Active Directory users

sorry for the delay in replying.

I thought this might get a bit ugly, I thought storing the picture in AD would be easier, but instead all I've done is create a folder on the web application, and put the user photos in here.
      by naming the photos firstnamelastname.jpg, I can match it to the AD user, thus the application picks their picture up.

Means a little bit more administration, but better than causing AD to start having issues!

Thanks for the links.