Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active Directory on Windows 2000 Server Replication Problem due to Image Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory on Windows 2000 Server Replication Problem due to Image Recovery

i have the following scenario set up:

one windows 2000 server domain controller holding all fsmo roles and the global catalog. i set up a second window s 2000 domain controller as a replication partner. Unfortunatly one of my administrators restored a two week old image of the domain controller holding the roles. As expected this ruined replication. I have switched off the replication partner and left the one restored from the image (holding the fsmo roles) and luckily active directory seems to be working fine now for over 4 weeks. My querry is the following. Is it possible to demote the replication partner and install a new replication partner with a different name. Will this work?!. Soon i will reinstall a new domain controller anyway. Should i opt to set up my network from scratch (60 users) or will i be able to keep my existant domain controller and create a new replica with a windows 2003 server operating system.

any help would be appriciated,

many thanks

geoffrey

Re: Active Directory on Windows 2000 Server Replication Problem due to Image Recovery

Ideally, just reformat it, cleanup the metadata from the AD on the first DC and dcpromo the second server (you can even use the same name)
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Re: Active Directory on Windows 2000 Server Replication Problem due to Image Recovery

i will take the following steps to solve my issue and hope everything goes well...on the primary server i will move all roles to the replica domain controller so it will become the main domain controller. on the domain controller with the corrupt AD i have exchange installed so that is an issue aswell. i will not demote it until i am sure i have exchange running on a new computer. once i have sorted out exchange i will domote the domain controller and remove it completly from my domain. once that is complete i will install a new computer as a replication partner of active directory. let me know if i willl have issues with what i have in mind. for the time being the replica seems to be holding my network in place so i can do these steps at my own time...unless something else comes up...thanks for your reply...

Comment

The problem i am a bit concerned about is exchange which is installed on the server which has the corrupt active directory. I am not sure if i should sieze the roles since i need the server to stay online because of exchange. And i cant demote the server before i move exchange. Another thing is that on the functioning domain controller i dont have the 2 exchange tabs in the user properties. So i am assuming that information regarding exchange objects might not be replicated. Anyone knows anything about this. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X