No announcement yet.

same extenal and internal domain name ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same extenal and internal domain name ?

Hi all
    I recently started upgrading the computers on the company i work for to a windows 2003 active directory domain.

as it is now my workstation is the only member on the domain while i am testing to make sure everything works.

i seem to have a few problems that i am hoping you guys can help me with

1. i called the domain the same name as our companys DNS name wich has a webpage and various other services hosted outside the company.
    Now every time i try to access the external server from inside the network the domain controller thinks i am trying to access a service on the server itself

Can i somehow tell the domain controller to redirect all requests to another DNS server ? if not what about selected services like only www.domainname.com ? any other suggestions or ideas?

2. my network has a router that automatically assigns workstations DNS server ip adresses, there seems to be some conflict when i login to the domain when i donīt specify the domain controller as the default DNS server since it takes forever to log in, can i somehow fix this without manually putting the domain controller as the DNS server manually to each workstation that joins the domain.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, i am forced to learn as i go on this.

Re: same extenal and internal domain name ?

Originally posted by quandasar View Post
    1. i called the domain the same name as our companys DNS name wich has a webpage and various other services hosted outside the company.
    Now every time i try to access the external server from inside the network the domain controller thinks i am trying to access a service on the server itself
    You'll need to add host records to the local DNS server for each external host.
    2. my network has a router that automatically assigns workstations DNS server ip adresses
    This is called DHCP.
    , there seems to be some conflict when i login to the domain when i donīt specify the domain controller as the default DNS server since it takes forever to log in
    Yup, that sounds like what it would do with an ill configured DNS server.
    , can i somehow fix this without manually putting the domain controller as the DNS server manually to each workstation that joins the domain.
    Configure the DHCP server service on your router to hand out the IP address of your DNS server instead of your ISP's DNS server.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the infor JeremyW, could you describe to me how i add a host records to the local DNS server for each external host.

regarding the DHCP server if i make the router use the domain controller as the default DNS will machines that arenīt apart of the domain be able to use it ?

Comment

Originally posted by quandasar View Post
        Thanks for the infor JeremyW, could you describe to me how i add a host records to the local DNS server for each external host.
        Sure.
        1. Open a Run dialog box, type in dnsmgmt.msc
        2. Expand Forward Lookup Zones
        3. Rightl-click the proper zone and select New Host (A)...
        4. Type in the name for the server (e.g. - if your public web server is www.domain.com then enter www as the name
        5. Uncheck Create associated pointer (PTR) record and then click Add Host
        6. Repeat for all external hosts that use the same domain name.

regarding the DHCP server if i make the router use the domain controller as the default DNS will machines that arenīt apart of the domain be able to use it ?
        The client not yet joined should be able to use your server for DNS with out a problem.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X