Preferred DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred DC

I have a LAN with multiple DC's, each DC is in it's own subnet. I would like to force logins on select machines to a specific DC and if it fails another specified DC. Would I use AD sites to accomplish this and how would I set them up? I would like to do this for 5 separate areas within the LAN, each area having a primary authentication DC and a secondary DC. The secondary DC will be common among all 5 areas.

Thanks!

Re: Preferred DC

...in summary, how do I set preferred DC (XP client, 2003 DC)?

Comment

In AD Sites and Services you need to add subnets and sites and associate one with the other. Then add each of the servers to their sites, set up inter-site links with appropriate costs. The Knowledge Consistency Checker will automatically set up replication between site servers based upon your costings.

This is not a small subject; to avoid causing your organisation problems I would suggest some heavy reading before you attempt this. There are many books available as training aids on AD and there is also this website - although I could not immediately spot a resource about setting up sites.

Once all this is set up, workstations and servers will send authentication requests to their "local" DC - i.e. the one in their logical site.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        The Knowledge Consistency Checker will automatically set up replication between site servers based upon your costings.
        Last I recall, the KCC automatically builds replication metrics for intrasite replication only.

Last I recall, Intersite replication has no default schedule and must always be set up manually as far as the interval and when throughout the course of the day the replication can occur. The path that AD replication uses between sites will be based on costs assigned to the site links. The Inter-Site Topology Generator (there's one at each site) talkes to the other ISTGs and figures out which links to use so as to minimize cost. The higher the cost, the less preferred the link is for means of replication.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

My bad, sorry - I did say it was a complex subject!

I don't have all the answers certainly and I'm happy to be educated... apologies for any confusion.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

No need to feel bad. I'm just trying to make sure the right information is passed around. I often make mistakes. I wish I had a better memory. Participating on this forum helps keep me sharp as possible. When I'm full of it, you and others should call me on it.

PS. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic whatsoever. The "last I recall" phrase points to my shabby memory, not sarcasm towards you.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

This article helped me understand it a bit better..

How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP
              http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314861

or for older clients:
              http://support.microsoft.com/?id=247811

Comment

From memory i think there is a registry key that you can set on the client but i could be wrong on that.

I can vaguely remember a topic on this a while back.

Comment

An article I found while looking for something else; it describes inter-and intra-site replication beautifully. The KCC is involved in both, but inter-site replication needs the administrator to have set up inter-site links with costs manually before it begins its magic.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X