Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The replication request has been posted

Hi,

I got 2 Sites and found my replication is not working and following error msg. Can someone step me pls?

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NTDS Replication
    Event Category: Replication
    Event ID: 1864
    Date: 17/04/2007
    Time: 12:40:16 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Computer: MEL-PDC
    Description:
    This is the replication status for the following directory partition on the local domain controller.

Directory partition:
    CN=Configuration,DC=calvista,DC=local

The local domain controller has not recently received replication information from a number of domain controllers. The count of domain controllers is shown, divided into the following intervals.

More than 24 hours:
    More than a week:
    More than one month:
    More than two months:
    More than a tombstone lifetime:
    Tombstone lifetime (days):
    Domain controllers that do not replicate in a timely manner may encounter errors. It may miss password changes and be unable to authenticate. A DC that has not replicated in a tombstone lifetime may have missed the deletion of some objects, and may be automatically blocked from future replication until it is reconciled.

To identify the domain controllers by name, install the support tools included on the installation CD and run dcdiag.exe.
    You can also use the support tool repadmin.exe to display the replication latencies of the domain controllers in the forest. The command is "repadmin /showvector /latency <partition-dn>".

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

====================================
    ADcheck resualt

Analyzing direct replication partners...
    MEL-FS
    Last successful replication: Tuesday, 17 April 2007 2:26:17 PM
    Last replication attempt: Tuesday, 17 April 2007 2:26:17 PM
    Number of recent failures: 0
    Status of last attempt: The operation completed successfully.
    Transport: Intra-site RPC
    MEL-BDC
    Last successful replication: Tuesday, 17 April 2007 2:27:34 PM
    Last replication attempt: Tuesday, 17 April 2007 2:27:34 PM
    Number of recent failures: 0
    Status of last attempt: The operation completed successfully.
    Transport: Intra-site RPC
    CNB-FPEXCH
    Last successful replication: Monday, 1 January 1601 10:00:00 AM
    Last replication attempt: Tuesday, 17 April 2007 1:55:34 PM
    Number of recent failures: 141
    Status of last attempt: The replication request has been posted; waiting for reply. (For diagnostic purposes, the error number is= 8477 )

Transport: CN=SMTP,CN=Inter-Site Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=calvista,D C=local
    CNB-ISA
    Last successful replication: Monday, 1 January 1601 10:00:00 AM
    Last replication attempt: Tuesday, 17 April 2007 1:55:34 PM
    Number of recent failures: 138
    Status of last attempt: The replication request has been posted; waiting for reply. (For diagnostic purposes, the error number is= 8477 )

Transport: CN=SMTP,CN=Inter-Site Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=calvista,D C=local

Note: I have rename the Administrator account and change the password last year.

Now Exchange GAL is not update as well
    Last edited by COSY; 17th April 2007, 06:47.
    AusNetIT Solutions

Web Design | Web Hosting | SEO | IT Support

Re: The replication request has been posted

Did you run DCDIAG.EXE as instructed?

Replication problems are fun to troubleshoot because the personal satisfaction when resolved is rewarding.

Check out MS KB Articles
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi All,

When i run dcdiag and repadmin i found that following error

Canberra\CNB-ISA via SMTP
      DC object GUID: 2232cdf8-d125-413f-bafa-6b75f802c710
      Last attempt @ 2007-04-18 10:55:35 failed, result 8477 (0x211d):
      Can't retrieve message string 8477 (0x211d), error 1815.
      145 consecutive failure(s).
      Last success @ (never).
      [Replications Check,MEL-PDC] A recent replication attempt failed:
      From CNB-ISA to MEL-PDC
      Naming Context: CN=Configuration,DC=calvista,DC=local
      The replication generated an error (8477):
      Win32 Error 8477
      The failure occurred at 2007-04-18 10:55:35.
      The last success occurred at (never).
      145 failures have occurred since the last success.
      REPLICATION-RECEIVED LATENCY WARNING
      MEL-PDC: Current time is 2007-04-18 12:16:52.
      DC=axis,DC=calvista,DC=local
      Last replication recieved from CNB-FPEXCH at 2006-10-27 23:08:18.

WARNING: This latency is over the Tombstone Lifetime of 60 days!

And also i have noticed that my AD Site ans services configured for IP & SMTP? Do we need both?

SMTP is failed in above so do i need both or if i remove SMTP Inter_Site Transport Link what will happen?
      AusNetIT Solutions

Comment

Ehh... I like to stay away from SMTP for intersite replication. My preference is RPC or IP for intrasite and intersite replication.

SMTP is async replication which is connectionless, and designed for smaller pipes. Also, not all AD partitions can be replicated via SMTP which for me is the deal breaker making it all but worthless.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
        Comparison of SMTP and RPC Replication
        The following characteristics apply to both SMTP and RPC with respect to Active Directory replication:

• For replication between sites, data replicated through both transports is compressed.

• Active Directory can respond with only a fixed (maximum) number of changes per change request, on the basis of the size of the replication packet The size of the replication packet is configurable. (For information about configuring the replication packet size, see "Replication Packet Size" later in this chapter.)

• Active Directory can have only a single change request outstanding for a specific directory partition to a specific replication partner.

• The response data (changes) are transported in one or many frames, based on the total number of changed or new values.

• TCP transports the data portion by using the same algorithm for both SMTP and RPC.

• If transmission of the data portion fails for either, complete retransmission is necessary.

• If bandwidth is limited, the same TCP retransmission characteristics apply. (RPC time-out is much longer than TCP time-out.)

Because SMTP is not used for replication of domain directory partitions, Windows 2000 provides point-to-point synchronous RPC replication in addition to asynchronous SMTP replication between sites to allow the flexibility of having domains span multiple sites. RPC is best used between well-connected sites because it involves lower latency. SMTP is best used between sites where RPC over IP is not possible. For example, SMTP can be used by companies that have a network backbone that is not based on TCP/IP, such as companies that use an X.400 backbone.

Active Directory replication uses both transports to implement a request-response mechanism. Active Directory issues requests for changes and replies to requests for changes. RPC maps these requests into RPC requests and RPC replies. SMTP, on the other hand, actually uses long-lived TCP connections to deliver streams of mail in each direction. Thus, RPC transport expects a response to any request more or less immediately and can have a maximum of one active inbound RPC connection to a directory partition replica at a time. The SMTP transport expects much longer delays between a request and a response. As a result, multiple inbound SMTP connections to a directory partition replica can be active at the same time, provided the requests are all for a different source domain controller or directory partition.

Top of page
        Benefits of SMTP Replication Between Sites
        Although SMTP replication usually is slower than RPC, there are conditions that call for SMTP replication exclusively, and others that favor it, such as the following:

• RPC-based replication is currently synchronous, whereas SMTP is asynchronous. Where bandwidth is limited, it can be disadvantageous to force an entire transaction to complete before another can begin. With SMTP, several transactions can be processing simultaneously so that each transaction is receiving some attention most of the time, as opposed to no attention for prolonged periods, which can result in RPC time-outs.

• SMTP traffic can be secured, monitored, and managed across a WAN environment.

• Where end-to-end online IP connectivity is impossible — for example, A can communicate with B, and B can communicate with C, but A can never communicate with C directly — mail can be used and routed A to B, B to C, C to B, or B to A.
        Last edited by jasonboche; 18th April 2007, 03:56.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

HI Thanks,

So deleting SMTP is OK?
          AusNetIT Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by COSY View Post
            HI Thanks,

So deleting SMTP is OK?
            I would, but I don't know the rest of your environment. I will instruct you to be cautious. It may have been implemented that way for a reason. What I'm saying is, get a second opinion from your team or peers. I do not want to fill you full of confidence and then find out the next day I was solely responsible for breaking your intersite replication.

If you will remove SMTP, know how to put it back if required.

One thing is certain though, DCs that aren't replicating are not good for the environment. You will need to tackle this one way or the other.

Comment

Working...
            X