Tools for online restore of AD objects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for online restore of AD objects

Hi, are there any tools/softwares for recoverying active directory objects online?

I have gone through two software like Quest Recovery Manager for active directory and Netpro RestoreADmin.

Are there any other good products available in market for online recovery?

Thanks,
    Charl

Re: Tools for online restore of AD objects

I haven't seen any but of course I haven't looked either.

It seem that such a tool would only be needed by companies that only have one DC.

If you have two or more (MS recommends) then you can take one offline, do an authoritative restore, bring it back online and presto, no downtime.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Those two you mention are the leading in the field. There is also Sysinternal's object restore utility which leverages the reanimation API, but it's far from what Quest and NetPro offer.

Jeremy, restoring a single object in a matter of seconds as compared to full DC restore and authoritative restore of needed object (and dealing with group membership in multi-domain forest environment, which is quite a nightmare) saves a lot of time.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
        Jeremy, restoring a single object in a matter of seconds as compared to full DC restore and authoritative restore of needed object (and dealing with group membership in multi-domain forest environment, which is quite a nightmare) saves a lot of time.
        Hmm, yes, I stand corrected. I really didn't think that one through.

Thanks Guy.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

we put in quest recovery manager recently and it's been great so far,

we have only had to restore simple objects (users/computers) but its much easier than bringing a box down and doing it the old way.

the compare function has been great too. we had someone jumping up and down that they had been removed from a group, so we did a compare of 2 backups. once from that day and one from a month before... and they wernt a member in either. so some pretty cool stuff can be done with it.

It plugged into our existing infrastructure fairly easily and we have it running in both our forrests and for all the domains within them.

thumbs up from me - if you can afford the price (it aint cheap.. but for a large organisation its justifiable)

Comment

Working...
          X