No announcement yet.

Migrating Files From one AD to Another

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Files From one AD to Another

Falks: I'm about to migrate various file servers from one AD 2003 to one fileserver on a different AD 2003. For several reasons, one is a company request, the second is the necesity of consolidating the info in one server.

my first guess is make a robocopy to replicate NTFS security. But here's the question.
    Is any way to migrate the user account from one domain to the other without changeing the SID in the process, so the migrated users can access tho the migrated files with no additional work from the administrators?

Thanks a lot in advanced.

Re: Migrating Files From one AD to Another

Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit

"Many organizations today are migrating and consolidating older file servers to reduce total cost of ownership (TCO) and increase the efficiency of storage management and backup tasks. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 technologies deliver low TCO, reliable file services essential to enterprise computing infrastructures, and an exciting set of customer-focused services to increase return on investment (ROI) and enhance end-user productivity.

To make the file server migration and consolidation process easier, Microsoft has released the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit. In addition, Microsoft has released guidance for file server migration and consolidation as part of the Solution Accelerator for Consolidating and Migrating File and Print Servers.

FSMT helps the system administrator configure new functionality in Distributed File System (DFS) to maintain the original Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path of files after they are moved to a new server. This reduces the impact of file server consolidation and migration, saves end users time spent searching for files, and ensures that line-of-business applications keep running. "

Re: Migrating Files From one AD to Another

FSMT is nice, but if I am not mistaken, it does not solve the permissions issues you run into when migrating data between 2 different forests.

Just a quick question: is the a trust between those 2 ADs in place ?
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"