Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSMO Transfer long time at preparing network connections

Hi!

This is a post concerning the problem that occurs with DNS and long startup times (preparing network connections) after changing FSMO roles and DNS to another server in an Active directory domain.

Description:

I have installed a new fresh server 2003 and promoted it to an additional domain controller.

I have done a FSMO transfer according to the schoolbook to the new server.

I have installed DNS on the new server and transferred dns data from master (old server).

I have changed SOA in the DNS to the new server.

After this i have changed the DNS pointer on each servers NIC to the new primary server.

My problem now is slow boot time. It takes about 10-15 minuts at "preparing network connections"

After i log on i receive event ID 2088 (source NTDS Replication) which states that DNS could not resolve AD and after timeout defaults to NETBIOS, i guess this i the reason for long "preparing network connections".

I have had this experience on 3-4 other FSMO transfers on other domains (AD installations).

I have now contacted Microsoft and opened a support case, but they seem pretty lost to, so if anyone has experienced the same problem or have any hints please reply here!!

Regards
    /Miguel

...Call out the vice squad, someone is mounting a harddrive

Re: FSMO Transfer long time at preparing network connections

Have you made the new DC a GC ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Yes the global catalog resides on the new server.

ntdiag, dcdiag, domain and dns tests = OK

/M

Comment

I might add that after the server finally is started everything works fine, the event mentioned earlier is just occurring once at every startup when preparing network connections.

After AD is resolved via netbios everything works just fine via DNS and I receive no more events in the eventviewer.

It seems almost like the DNS service is not started when domain name is queried at startup.

/M

Comment

Working...
        X