Auto transfering FSMO files?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto transfering FSMO files?

Im about to replace my first DC (windows 200 server) with a new DC ( windows 2003 server). When i dcpromo the the 2000 server:

1. will it auto transfer the FSMO files to the DC that i want to promote?

2. Should i even have the 2003 DC online when im doing it?

Re: Auto transfering FSMO files?

Have a read of this and then come back with some questions. http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

Also suggest you try it in a non production environment before going live. Virtual PC is a really good place to play with these things first. It will avoid bucket loads of stress and do NOT be pressured into the upgrade until you are confident of the processes.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Have a read of this and then come back with some questions. http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

Also suggest you try it in a non production environment before going live. Virtual PC is a really good place to play with these things first. It will avoid bucket loads of stress and do NOT be pressured into the upgrade until you are confident of the processes.
      yeah im making a test environment as we speak. That article really came in handy so thank you. Its still didnt tell me whether i had to manually move the FSMO files over manually or not though.

Comment

I left that so you had something to search for. http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

You had all the info necessary to find the above link. I now strongly suggest you practice this operation SEVERAL times before going live.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

actually i found that one already, but thank you, i just wanted to respond back and thanks you for your help. this is a very helpful site. And dont worry i have practiced it enough.

Comment

Ok, let us know how it went when you tried it live.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

actually something odd popped up. When i tried to add the 2003 server(R2) into the domain as a DC, i keep getting an error that the schema isnt correct and that i should do the adprep command to the Server with the FSMO roles on it. Ive already done it but i checked just to see if i made a mistake. When i ran the adprep again on the first DC(2000 server) it said that i already had done it. Anyone had this issue before?

to let everyone know if you encounter this issue. Its because the schema was changed once again for 2003 R2. you have to run adprep from the second installation cd of your 2003 R2 installation set.

it should be in: D:\CMPNENTS\R2\ADPREP
              Last edited by JadanIT; 19th March 2007, 22:14.

Comment

Known issue and referred to in release notes of R2!
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X