Unable to create containers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to create containers

I have installed a new domain in windows 2003. I am unable to create Container object in active directory using new wizard. I am able to see all objects except *container* in new menu.

any clue??

cheers,
    Steve

Re: Unable to create containers

Bit more info would be nice - Windows 2000 or 2003?

I take it your a domain admin?
    By Container object's I take it you mean OU?
    Are you getting any error messages?
    Anything in the event log?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, more information is needed.
      This is the first domain controller?
      What is the exavt problem?

When you are trying to created an OU without using the wizard, you are successful?
      Best regards,
      Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you specifically mean "Container" rather than "OU", then you are correct - you cannot create "Containers" in AD. The only container objects present are the default ones.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks Tom. But what i have to if i get a requirement for creating container

In my one of the existing domain(installed by someone), i am getting the option for creating new container( in new wizard). Any this needs to be changed at adsi level for this

For others, I am giving more details of the problem

I am installing a new domain controller in a new domain( single forest;single domain) on a windows 2003 server

After installing i just opened dsa.msc and right clicked on one of the OU==> selected new. Here i am getting option for creating for users,computer,OU,Interorgperson..etc But not *container*

I am doing this operation with domain admin rights. No error message poping up and no event log errors/warnings

Note: I am looking for container creation only. Not OU creation
          Last edited by charlsteve; 14th March 2007, 13:04.

Comment

I think you need to edit the Sechma.
            Best regards,
            Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

do you have any KB describing this??

Comment

I have found the following article which suggests that containers are used to store printers - It also tells you how to edit the schema to allow for containers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303161

Michael

** Note - Follow at your own risk ** It says it's for Win2k but there should be no changes for 2003
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Michael. It talks about creating container from adsi.

But i am surprised to see the option of creating container in my live domain using dsa.msc

How it is possible?

Comment

Originally posted by charlsteve View Post
                    Thanks Michael. It talks about creating container from adsi.

But i am surprised to see the option of creating container in my live domain using dsa.msc

How it is possible?
                    It was probably a custom modification to the MSC settings - I have seen these before but can't remember the tech details. For instance it's possible to amend the MSC to give an "Unlock Account" option in the context menu for a user.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I got the solution Folks

Container creation is disabled by default in a new windows 2003 domain installation

Follow the below steps for enabling the container creation

Start--> run --> ADSIEDIT.msc -->navigate to schema partition --> select “Cn=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=<yourdomain>,DC=COM ”--> now on the right plane select “CN=Container” object--> go to properties--> change the value of defaultHidingValue to FALSE

Close adsiedit and check now for container in new wizard

More information on defaultHidingValue attribute:
                      A Boolean value that specifies the default setting of the showInAdvancedViewOnly property of new instances of this class. Many directory objects are not interesting to end users. To keep these objects from cluttering the UI, every object has a Boolean attribute called showInAdvancedViewOnly.
                      If defaultHidingValue is set to TRUE, new object instances are hidden in the Administrative snap-ins and the Windows shell. A menu item for the object class will not appear in the New context menu of the Administrative snap-ins—even if the appropriate creation wizard properties are set on the object class's displaySpecifier object.
                      If defaultHidingValue is set to FALSE, new instances of the object are displayed in the Administrative snap-ins and the Windows shell. Set this property to FALSE to see instances of the class in the administrative snap-ins and the shell and enable a creation wizard and its menu item in the New menu of the administrative snap-ins.
                      If the defaultHidingValue value is not set, the default is TRUE.

Comment

Stonelaughter:

Can you tel me how to incorporate unlock option context menu. Looks to be interesting saves some work

Thanks,
                        Sitaram

Comment

Nice one - Thanks for reporting back.

Just out of my curiosity - Why do you want to create containers instead of OU's?

Michael
                          Michael Armstrong
                          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

I am trying to make replica of my live AD setup in LAB. for that i need to create few containers ..Hence i logged this

Thanks,
                            Sitaram

Comment

Fair enough!!

Michael
                              Michael Armstrong
                              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X