sites and services help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sites and services help please

We had one flat subnet with 4 dcs. There are 3 offices connected with fiber links.
    Headoffice has 2 dcs. the remote offices have 1 dc/office.
    The domain is win2k3. all dcs are win2k3.
    Our network was setup as flat subnet 192.168.x.0.
    As per our fiber provider they asked to change from flat subnet to 3 subnets for each site.
    we are using hp procurve switches in each location
    I changed the dcs, dhcp , dns. added sites for each location, moved dcs in each site...
    DNS and DHCp works well... replication works well (no errors) ...
    routing between sites works well
    DFS works well

The only problem I have is in my network places we can see only the computers and servers in each site...this is happening random. Sometime we can see all, sometime just those in the site....

I couldn't figure out a pattern...

Tried to disable NETBIOS over tcp/ip...did not help

Do you have any suggestion

Thanks
    rares

Re: sites and services help please

Do you have WINS in place ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

no there is no wins server in place...
      Should I configure one, or one per/site?
      I've been reading an article I found...
      ".....for browsing across subnets....wins must be present"

thanks

Comment

Number of WINS servers is more of a function of how many clients you have. You do not need at least one WINS server per subnet, but you'd probably want to have at least two WINS servers for redundancy and configure those to replicate its databases between them.

WINS is indeed required if you want to have a full browsing list across subnets...
        Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Thanks

I was talking with my consultant (who changed the network on subnets)...and he is still saying the wins is not required...
          "You only need WINS for NT4, 98, 95 etc. DNS should be fine for 2k, 2k3 and xp. "

But obviously it's not working without....

we have 12 servers and 60 computers
          40 Headoffice
          10 one remote site
          10 the second remote site

each site has it's own dc , dhcp, dns
          and there are 2 dhcp , dns, dc in main location

I will try to configure 2 wins servers. both in the main location

Thanks

Comment

Then you should get a real consultant. WINS is required for the "Network Browsing" function to work properly when there are many subnets (because browsing uses NETBIOS names, NOT DNS names, and NETBIOS broadcasts will not normally cross a router) although I believe it's possible to have DNS configured to do your NETBIOS name resolution too. WINS may also be required for some poorly written or older applications, and also for many other things.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

what can i say...

I forgot to mention. all Dcs have 2 network cards. Only one is registered in DNS
              here is some other points:
              1. is it possible that Dual homed servers break this. do I need to deregister the servers in DNS and remove MS Networking on the second cards.

What do you mean by "DNS configured to do your NETBIOS name resolution too" ?

I've been reading on Technet:

"""
              In a domain that uses TCP/IP and that spans more than one subnet, each subnet functions as an independent browsing entity, with each subnet having its own master browse server and backup browse servers

or...
              For the PDC to build a single domain-wide list, it cannot be a multi-homed server. Each master browser on remote segments will establish a connection to the PDC. Because there is no guarantee that every master browser will choose the same interface on the PDC, the PDC must be single-homed so that a single domain-wide list can be built. Also, all master browsers must be single-homed. Every 12 minutes, the master browser connects to the PDC and requests the domain-wide list. The master browser then issues a Master Announcement Browser frame to the PDC telling it to connect to the master browser and obtain its local lists. However, because the PDC does not maintain separate IP addresses for each interface on the master browser, when the PDC connects to the master browser, it only obtains the list of computers and servers that are collected on that particular interface.
              """

Thanks
              rares

Comment

WINS is not required for name resolution. If you want all the computers to show up in "My network places", you still need WINS. Having DCs multihomed is not suggested - make sure only one NIC has "Register this connection in DNS" checked, but again - this is not a DNS issue. Install WINS and you will see all those issues go away. Relying on PDC to build a browsing list is too opportunistic
                Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Thanks.
                  Will configure wins

Comment

Yes installing 1 wins server fixed the problem...
                    I 've been trying before to modify all my dc's to use one network card only, since they had 2.
                    I modified all DNS server, registration and bindings, DHCP server bindings...to use on card. Disabled the second one, rebooted all dc's and still didn't work

Once I installed wins computers started to appear in my network places.

MSOFT MSOFT.....(A laptop running a Linux distro...sees everything in network places...wins or no wins...does not care...just shows everything )

Thank you guys for all your help
                    rares

Comment

Working...
                    X