now need .com to join xp system to domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now need .com to join xp system to domain

Ok so here's my problem. Up untill last week I could add an xp system to our domain by just using the domain name. Now it is requiring the domainname with .com after it to join it to the domain.
    Normaly this wouldn't be a problem but the images we are using have been syspreped to join only using the domain name. And I'd really rather not have to redo all of the images. The only change to the AD has been turning off the last of the 2k domain controlers. But that was 3 weeks ago. And I have not raised the level of the domain as of yet.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Re: now need .com to join xp system to domain

Do you have Netbios turned off on the W2K3 DCs ?
    Is there WINS infrastructure in place ?
    Do you get master browser related warnings/errors on the DCs in the event logs ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

There were two DC's that were replicating wins.
      One is the main and the other was the 2k one that we shut down.
      I've added another one of the DC's to that replication to replace the 2k that was taken down.

I'll check the netbios. Question would be why did it take two weeks for this to be affected if that is the case?

I haven't noticed any Browser related errors in the event logs but I will go back and look at that as well.

Thank you.

Comment

I've been looking over my network and guyt may be right here.
        I don't want to make any changes this weekend. With all the DST patches that went in I don't want to add any more potential points of failure.

The question that still looms, for me, is how come this took so long to manifest?

And will the wins infrastructure work if none of the replication partners are 2k or even using netbeui?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogueactor View Post
          The question that still looms, for me, is how come this took so long to manifest?

And will the wins infrastructure work if none of the replication partners are 2k or even using netbeui?
          Netbui is dead. I was talking about Netbios over TCP/IP.
          WINS will work regardless the OS version - it's functionality is identical on W2K and W2K3.

As for the reasons that it took time... I asked you about master browser errors in event logs, but you havn't replied to it yet. I guess that W2K was master browser and after it was gone, things went out of control because of some sort of misconfiguration. But I can only guess...
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
            As for the reasons that it took time... I asked you about master browser errors in event logs, but you havn't replied to it yet. I guess that W2K was master browser and after it was gone, things went out of control because of some sort of misconfiguration. But I can only guess...
            It looks like the wins replication changes i made fixed the problem. Thanks for pointing me that way as a possible cause.
            I didn't find any master browser errors in the event log when I checked it.

Thanks again guyt

Comment

Working...
            X