Additional DC not replicating DNS zones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional DC not replicating DNS zones

We are building a brand new domain. I built the primary DC and all went well. When I added an additional DC everything replicated except DNS. It came up with nothing. It is exactly how it is when you install DNS and do nothing to it. I have never had this problem before. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Additional DC not replicating DNS zones

Try running netdiag and dcdiag from the windows 2003 support tools and post back the results. This should give you a good indication as to what is wrong.

Anything in the DNS event log?

Any more information you can supply will be good as well.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I will give those tools a try tomorrow and post the results. The Event log had informational events only but one that stuck out was:
      Event Type: Information
      Event Source: DNS
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 708
      Description:
      The DNS server did not detect any zones of either primary or secondary type during initialization. It will not be authoritative for any zones, and it will run as a caching-only server until a zone is loaded manually or by Active Directory replication. For more information, see the online Help.

Looking through the DomainDnsZone and ForestDnsZone I do see both DCs are listed under all records. Which matches what we have on our test network that works. The one difference I did notice was that on our test network the primary DNS server had the secondary DC listed as a Name Server. This is not the case on the production DNS server.
      Also, I created the primary DNS by doing a backup of our current production DNS(not on a DC) and restoring on the primary DC before we ran dcpromo. Could there be any issues with this method that might have caused this problem? All SRV records are present.
      Thank you. I appreciate the help

Comment

The one difference I did notice was that on our test network the primary DNS server had the secondary DC listed as a Name Server. This is not the case on the production DNS server.
        Yes the 2nd DC should be listed in here but this should have been taken care of when the server was promoted to a DC.

Were there any problems / error messages when you promoted the member server to a DC? By the sounds of it it looks like DNS has not been configured correctly when the server was promoted.

post back with the netdiag and dcdiag results when you get them so we can have a better look.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

There were no errors when I promoted the server to a DC. Could you please tell me which specific switches to use with the dcdiag and netdiag. I have not used these tools that often and any help would be much appreciated.

Bryon

Comment

Problem solved. Since we created are new DNS server from a backup of our existing DNS server (non-Active Directory) it was set as Primary instead of Active Directory Integrated. I checked the check box and everything worked fine. Again, I appreciate the help.

Comment

It seems I spoke a little prematurely. Most of the zone data was replicated over to the DNS of the secondary DC. It seems now that none of the Reverse Lookup Zone data transferred. Also, If you click on the DC name at the top of DNS it still comes up with "Configure a DNS Server" while the primary has Forward and Reverse Lookup zone folders, Event Viewer, Cached Lookups, Forwarders and Root Hints. I have forced replication and it said it was successful. I did a flush dns, stop netlogon, stop dns, start dns, start netlogon and register dns and this did not work. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

I am feeling a little foolish. This is the first time I am building a production Active Directory environment but I should have been able to figure out this fix. The Reverse Lookup Zones had the + next to them. When you right-click the zone without first clicking the + it does not show Properties in the list. As soon as I expanded the zone and then right-clicked it showed Properties in the list. I then needed to set all of these zones to Active Directory Integrated.
                The problem I was having with not being able to see the Server Properties in the right pane was even a simpler solution. I right-clicked on the server name and in the drop down list I expanded View and there was a check next to Message. I unchecked and the Folders appeared.
                This did not happen when I set up our test environment. Things always seem to go more smoothly when they are only a test. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                X