DFS/FRS renaming files?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS/FRS renaming files?

I recently created a DFS root and added 1 link with 2 targets to 2 servers that we wanted to mirror a fileshare for. After creating the root and enabling the replication of the shared directory, any time a file is changed from a client machine and saved again, the filename is changed to a randomly generated alpha numeric combination...

I checked the NTFRS logs and the only entries were concerning the size of the staging area prior to replication. I increased the size of the staging area by 40 mb and it seemed to have no effect.

I am running this off of a DC running Win2K3 with both shared directories on Win2K3 member file servers. Both machines are in the same domain and both are print servers as well.

Any help you can offer would be great...

strange...

Another side note... I had thought that the strange file names might be caused by saving a file in the original mapped drive of the folder rather than saving thru the mapped drive of the DFS root so that the FRS didn't get the file name and only saw the file so it randomly generated a file name to go along with it... The strange thing is that all the files work just the same, it's just that the filenames are changed (to protect the innocent?).

Let me know if this sounds logical to anyone?

Comment

The filenames mangling is usually a result of collision.
      The only thing I can think of is clock scew on the server.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

MS Office

After more careful observance, I noticed that the file name fiasco was only taking place when files were saved from one machine. I further noticed that all of the files were Excel or Word files. When I realized that I checked the version of Office the machine had and it was Office 2000 Premium pre-SP1. I uninstalled Premium, installed Professional and upgraded to SP3 with all the latest hotfixes and had no more problems with the renaming of files.

Comment

glad you got it sorted out.
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
          X