Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD Import problem with display name field

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AD Import problem with display name field

    Hi,

    My job was to change the display name of 200 contacts on the Global Address List. (Last name first, first name second instead of First name first, last name second)

    I exported with the csvde command, edited the export file in excel, then deleted the contacts in AD and finally imported from the modified csv file.
    Now my problem is: in outlook when replying to old emails I can see the recipient's name in the To field, but when I double click on it then I can see an almost empty object (that is all the attributes are empty including the email address, except for the display name wich contains an X.400 address-like thing) As there is no email address the reply message bounces back with a non-delivery report. There is no problem replying to the newly received emails from these contacts and it also works if users pick the name from the address list.

    I guess that I should have modified the objects instead of deleting and then importing them, but is there any way now to correct this thing? (so that users can reply to old messages without the need of picking the name of the recipient manually from the GAL?)

    I would also be interested how to modify objects. To me it seemed that it's not possible with the csvde command. I would prefer a command line or script solution instead of a utility.

    Thanks

    Akos

  • #2
    Re: AD Import problem with display name field

    Have you rebuilt the Offline Address Book in the Exchange and let the Oultook 2003 clients in cached mode re-download the OAB ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: AD Import problem with display name field

      Hi,

      Yeah I tried these things, but didn't help. It is the same if I turn off cached mode or if I open OWA.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: AD Import problem with display name field

        Some additional info :
        After I deleted the contacts I imported these attributes:

        DN,objectClass,cn,sn,givenName,distinguishedName,i nstanceType,displayName,targetAddress,mailNickname ,name,showInAddressBook,objectCategory,mail

        I also tried the same thing in another domain. This time I created some test contacts, exported, deleted them and imported the above attributes back without modifying their values.
        The same situation : empty object when I want to reply to old messages.

        Am I importing the right fields?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: AD Import problem with display name field

          Originally posted by tothakosh View Post
          Some additional info :
          After I deleted the contacts I imported these attributes:

          DN,objectClass,cn,sn,givenName,distinguishedName,i nstanceType,displayName,targetAddress,mailNickname ,name,showInAddressBook,objectCategory,mail
          It looks like you are missing the following attributes:

          proxyAddresses (X400 addresses are used by Outlook to resolve the object when replying and SMTP addresses by Exchange for delivery)
          legacyExchangeDN (used mostly by Exchange when performing some lookups)
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: AD Import problem with display name field

            Thanks for the tip. I tried importing these attributes too, but still have the same problem. Seems like outlook or exchange thinks to recognize the object that is associated with the sender of an old email, but is doesn't seem to point to the real object. I'm not sure, is there is any way to tell exchange or outlook to use the sender's email address for replying instead of checking to find a contact object first?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: AD Import problem with display name field

              Thanks for your help. Your last post contained the solution.

              You were right indeed when you suggested importing the ProxyAddresses and legacyExchangeDN attributes.

              I did this and now I can reply to old emails and the new incoming ones. I can't reply to the ones received in the last 3-4 days (after the first modification). (In fact that's why I wrote in my last post that it didn't work : I only checked some emails from this period, not the old ones)

              To resolve this problem with the last 3 days I tried importing the contacts again to a different OU, without the legacyExchange attribute and hidden from the address list, but it didn't help. I checked in AD, and it seems to fill in this field automatically at the import, but as it would be the same with the already present contacts it puts a "2" to the end. What is even more confusing is that there are some email in the last 3 days that I can to. (only a few though)

              I don't really understand how this works, but seems to be an issue with the legacyExchangeDN attribute. At this point I'm about to give up, now it's only the last 3 days after all.

              Thanks again for your help

              Akos

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: AD Import problem with display name field

                Glad that worked out and thanks for sharing.

                As for the contacts that were created during last 3 days, in oder to make those replyable, you will need to add to the existing contacts the value of legacyExchnageDN as X500 proxy address as it was auto-generated during the first import. This should make those resolvable.
                Guy Teverovsky
                "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

                Comment

                Working...
                X