New DC in new Site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DC in new Site

Hello all, I searched the forums but did not find anything directly related to my situation, so forgive me if this is a duplicate post.

My situation is that my company has a complete AD network (single site) setup at its HQ and has a VPN link to its distribution center. The distribution center has a 2003 server running DNS currently. Due to company growth I need to promote the DNS server to become a DC ASAP. I am onsite at the distribution center and only have RDP access to the existing DC.

My question is this, what is the best way to go about dcpromo'ing the DNS server?
    Do I need to uninstall DNS first or is that even a problem?
    Is there a problem with the servers being in two different time zones?

Thanks in advance!

Re: New DC in new Site

You can promote the server to be a domain controller even if DNS is already installed on that server, that should be easy.
    Best regards,
    Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think it would be better to be "on site" at the distro centre while the promotion takes place... however there is no problem with it hosting the DNS at all. You may wish to consider creating an AD site with a slightly higher cost for the distro centre, just to avoid swamping the VPN link with AD replication traffic - however the basic promotion process should be fine. The reason I suggest being on site, is that simply it's always better to be where the action is, just in case... if it all goes "Pete Tong" (English phrase) you want to have the best chance of resolving it.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So there should be no problem running dcpromo on the existing DNS server, creating a new site & subnet in AD then moving the new DC to the new site.

My biggest fear is a replication issue that wipes Sysvol on the original DC.

Comment

sysvol will not be wiped on the original DC.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

It will be replicated to the other domain controllers
            Best regards,
            Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well I will be doing the dcpromo today and I will report back afterwards.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Good luck then man. Update us if you will be having any problem.
                Best regards,
                Mostafa Itani

Comment

All went well, thanks for your help with this. I also made the DC a GC as well.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X