Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will try to give you as much information as possible. The username this person is using to log on with was incorrect when the actual account was created. This was subsequently changed. This user cannot now change her password as she is being told that the old password is not correct. This is the first time she has changed her password since the account the was created. If you delete her account, can you use the same username again

Re: Log in problem

1. Yes you can use the same user name again; (as long as the deletion has replicated) HOWEVER it is not the same account and therefore all folder permissions, group memberships etc will have to be re-done.

2. the "Incorrect old password" message in my experience sometimes happens when the NEW password does not meet the complexity requirements, or when the network connection to the Domain is not DIRECT; e.g. if they're connected via VPN, dial-up etc; or if they're trying to change their password through webmail. Make sure all the simple stuff is right before getting complex.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Tom is right, even if you create a new accuont with the same username a new SID have been generated automatically by windows (Security Identifier), and you need to add this user to all the groups and grant all the persmissions that used to exist before.

Try to log on to your PDC emulator, right click the user, and try changing the password.
      Best regards,
      Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The user in question here is unable to change their password because it is telling her that the old password/username she is using is incorrect. The actuall spelling of her log in name had to changed a few times but would this affect the match between the sid of her account in ad and the stored passwords used? This user is using the same password she has been using from the day she first logged on. I've tried reseting her password and verified that all requirements are being met for the password she is entering.

Comment

Personally I think the message is bogus; as I said in my first post, the message you get is not always related to the actual difficulty the system is having. I would be tempted in this particular case to create a new user account from scratch, populate the group membership to match the existing user, and prove it works; then delete the old account. (Don't forget to re-do permissions on mailbox, personal home folder etc). It may also be worth copying her profile if the user has spent a lot of time customising it. I hope there are no explicit permissions on other folders... this should be done via group membership. Let us know how you get on.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Have you tried resetting the user's password and making sure "User can not change password" checkbox is not set ?

From having a password change issue to recreating the account there is a VERY LONG path that I personally do not see any reason to walk on...
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
            X