Trouble with Win2003 and Win2k ADS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Win2003 and Win2k ADS

I administer a small network with currently a single domain controller, a windows 2000 server machine.

I have purchased a new 2003 server that I want to bring online as a second domain controller. I followed all of the instructions I could find on running adprep on the win2k server before dcpromo on the new server. When I ran adprep, I had no errors on screen nor in the event log. However, when I ran dcpromo (through the wizard) on the win2003 machine, I get a message that the win2k forest was not properly prepared and that I need to run adprep.

What else do I need to do on the win2k server to allow the win2003 server to be a domain controller in the same domain?

Thanks,

Joel

Re: Trouble with Win2003 and Win2k ADS

Joel,

Did you run adprep /forestprep and adprep/domain prep as per the article below:

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes,

I ran adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep. I had no errors either on screen or in the event log. I have since tried to re-run them and I get a message telling me that my AD has already been prepped.

Joel

Comment

So now the upgrade should be easy and straight forward, after you have prepared the domain and the forest.
        Best regards,
        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Windows Server 2003 R2? Then use the adprep that is on disk2

\Rem
          Last edited by Rems; 22nd January 2007, 15:24.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

So now I have prepped my AD for Windows2003.

When I try to make the Windows2003 server an ADS, I get the same message that my "forest" is not prepped for Windows 2003 and to run adprep.

I don't know what else to do. I have only one Win2k ADS so it is not a propagation delay through AD. If my Win2k server tells me the AD is already prepped for Windows2003 and the Windows 2003 server tells me I need to run adprep on my Win2k ADS, what do I do?

Thanks for everyones help!

Joel

Comment

Can you confirm that you have ran the following and both were successfull?

adprep /forestprepprep
              adprep /domainprep

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk
              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

And confirm you used adprep from disk-2 ?

Originally posted by [url]http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/ed42abd5-24c7-4b5a-8165-dbd96727ec841033.mspx?mfr=true[/url]

Important:
                Be sure to use the version of adprep that is on Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2, not the version that is on Disc 1.
                and
                http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917385

\Rem

Comment

Did you run adprep on the 2000 server???

Comment

Thanks for everyones input.

Yes I ran adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on the Win2K server and both finished without errors either onscreen or in the event log.

However, I ran the version of adprep that was in the i386 folder of the new Windows 2003 server. I copied the i386 folder over to the win2k machine and ran adprep from there. I have Windows 2003 server disks and found adprep on Disk 2 and am planning to run that tonight. If the version of adprep I ran before is the wrong one, did I do something irreversible? Can I simply run the version from Disk2 now and will it correct everything?

Thanks,
                    Joel

Comment

Can I simply run the version from Disk2 now and will it correct everything?
                      Yes no worries

\Rem
                      Last edited by Rems; 24th January 2007, 20:00.

Comment

Be sure to have all of the windows updates, I believe that there is a critical update for the adprep. I don't remember which one, but I remember that there is one that if not installed, can cause you trouble on this issue.

Comment

Thanks again for everyones help.

I checked for updates, re-rean adprep using the one on Disk2 and it made a big difference on the /forestprep option.

I now have my Windows 2003 server working as an AD.

Thanks again...

Joel

Comment

Working...
                          X