Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to move master DC from one windows 2003 server to another windows 2003 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move master DC from one windows 2003 server to another windows 2003 server

Hi ,
    We have 2 DCS on windows 2003 server. but master domain dc we need to move to another windows 2003 new server due server warranty maintanence. these are the stpes i am goibng to do. Is there any other steps need to do . please guide me. Thanks in advance.

use ADprep /forestprep
    ADprep /Domainprep to extend the schema objects
    this need to run on present windows 2003 server by using win2003 cd

Run DCpromo to install Active directory on new windows 2003 server

transfer FSMOrules by using NTdsutil.exe on present windows 2003 server.

So I disconnect my present master DC and connect these 2 server by using another switch. during this time i am going to give new name for this new DC . Evertything is okay, then i rename my new DC name is original one and plug out my old windows 2003 server.
    Please advice me on this.

Regards,
    Viji

Re: How to move master DC from one windows 2003 server to another windows 2003 server

Please post in the right forum next time. Moved to AD forum.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: How to move master DC from one windows 2003 server to another windows 2003 server

Originally posted by vijill View Post
      use ADprep /forestprep
      ADprep /Domainprep to extend the schema objects
      No need to do these if you already have 2003 DCs

Run DCpromo to install Active directory on new windows 2003 server
      Good

transfer FSMOrules by using NTdsutil.exe on present windows 2003 server.
      You can also use the GUI http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm
      You also want to make sure you configure at least one of the DCs as a Global Catalog server.

So I disconnect my present master DC and connect these 2 server by using another switch. during this time i am going to give new name for this new DC . Evertything is okay, then i rename my new DC name is original one and plug out my old windows 2003 server.
      Please advice me on this.
      You should be able to have all the servers connected to the same network. No need to be swapping cables and networks.

Could you post a diagram of your current setup?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

In that case first i have to give different name for new windows 2003 server machine and promote PDC .then
        I have to give same name of my present master DC name .then i need to plugout my present master domain right. please advice me on this.

during active directory wizard time, i am suppose to choose additional domain controller for an existing domain only right.

regards,
        viji

Comment

In that case first i have to give different name for new windows 2003 server machine and promote PDC
          Yes, you need to use a unique name. BTW - there's no longer PDCs and BDCs. They went out when Active Directory came in. (there is, however, the FSMO role of PDC Emulator)
          .then I have to give same name of my present master DC name
          This isn't a requirement. Are you trying to make this change transparent to the other computers on the network?
          You could:
          -Transfer the FSMO roles to one of the existing DCs
          -dcpromo the old DC and remove it from AD
          -Add the new DC using the same name as the old one
          -Transfer all/some of the FSMO roles to new DC

But I wonder if a swing migration would work in this scenario. I'm sure Steven could tell us.
          then i need to plugout my present master domain right. please advice me on this.
          I'm not sure what you mean? What does "plugout" mean? If you mean that you'll then need to demote (dcpromo) the old DC then yes.

during active directory wizard time, i am suppose to choose additional domain controller for an existing domain only right.
          Yes, when you add the new domain controller.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Actually I am moving Master DC from one machine to another new machine.
            I have second DC on another machine also.

During Active directory wizard time, What option i am suppose to choose in my case. please advice me on this. I am new in this environment.

1. Domain controller for a new domain

2. Additional domain controller for an existing domain

regards

Comment

Vijill hi
              you should chose the "additional domain controller..." after that the new domain controller will synchronize with the old one, after its done u can transfer the FSMO roles to the new server and demote the old server useing DCPromo.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
                Once I demote the old server using DCPromo, I have to give the old DC name to the new DC machine. Can able to do this. please give me reply on this.

Regards

Comment

There is no such thing as a "backup" or "secondary" DC and there's no "Master" DC. Active Directory is multimaster (except for the FSMO roles)
                  Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  BTW - there's no longer PDCs and BDCs. They went out when Active Directory came in. (there is, however, the FSMO role of PDC Emulator)

Once I demote the old server using DCPromo, I have to give the old DC name to the new DC machine. Can able to do this. please give me reply on this.
                  You'll need to demote the old DC and remove it from Active Directory BEFORE you run dcpromo on the new machine. This means that the FSMO roles need to be transferred to the other DC before you demote it. Also, name the new machine the same as the old one before you run dcpromo.

You could:
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

What is the purpose of running Run ADPREP command by using windows 2003 cd in the present DC.

Is it need to run ADPREP /forestprep and ADPREP /domainprep command in my present Master DC before transfer FSMO roles. please let me know on this.

Regards

Comment

Sorry, I think this last step no need to do because already we have 2003 environment. You told me earlier. thank you so much.

Regards

Comment

What is the purpose of running Run ADPREP command by using windows 2003 cd in the present DC.

Is it need to run ADPREP /forestprep and ADPREP /domainprep command
                        If you are already have a Windows Server 2003 as a DC then forestprep and domainprep have already been run.

Forestprep and domainprep are used to update the Active Directory schema. When you add a DC to a domain it copies the schema partition (along with all the other partitions) from an existing DC.

...my present Master DC...
                        Again, there is no "Master" DC.

EDIT - I just saw that you posted again. No problem!
                        Last edited by JeremyW; 17th January 2007, 18:31.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

Just now I created new DC (testdc) and transferred from present dc(angel) to new DC(testdc). But I wanted to check whether fmo roles properly transferred to testdc . How do i check. Is there any tools to check. please guide me on this.

Whenever i transfer schema master role, there was a error msg parameter is incorrect. that is why i wanted to know everything transferred to right way or not. please guide me on this asap.

Regards

Comment

the following active directory error occurred: during transferring if schema master role.
                            Domain controller could not be set.
                            Parameter is incorrect.

please give me on this

Regards

Comment

Are you a member of the Schema Admins group? Please review http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm (previously posted in this thread)

Also, you named the new DC testdc. Why? Are you going to transfer the roles back and reformat the new DC? I though you wanted it to have the same name as the old DC, i.e. angel.

See my previous posts (x2!!)
                              You'll need to demote the old DC and remove it from Active Directory BEFORE you run dcpromo on the new machine. This means that the FSMO roles need to be transferred to the other DC before you demote it. Also, name the new machine the same as the old one before you run dcpromo.
                              You could:
                              This post has been a recap of this thread. Please review the thread. I tried not to put any idled words in my posts.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X