DCPromo Did Not Totally Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCPromo Did Not Totally Work

I had two WIndows2k servers that I both had as domain controllers for nearly a year without any problems.

I needed to demote one of the domain controllers so I ran the dcpromo ultilty on the machine and it seems to work just fine. However, when I looked at the even log on the remaining domain controller (and it is the only domain controller on my network), I started to get Knowledge Consistency Check errors:

Source: NTDS KCC
    Category: Knowledge Consistency
    Event ID: 1265

The attempt to to establish a replication link with parameters:
    Blah,blah,blah

The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure

In looking a little further, I opened Activity Directory Sites and Services control app and found that there still two servers that NTDS objects in them. I thought that when I demoted a DC, the NTDS links should be deleted as well. I checked DNS and dcpromo on the old server removed all of the info expected about domain controllers as it should have.

I am getting the event log error about every 15 minutes and its preventing me from adding a new Windows2003 server that I want to configure as a domain controller. Yes I understand that I will need to prep the AD structure before doing this, but the first step is to get rid of the replication errors.

How can remove the replication link from AD from the remaining domain controller?

Thanks,
    Joel

Re: DCPromo Did Not Totally Work

Check out the following:

http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

If you have any other questions then let us know

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

W2K DCs have a lousy habbit of leaving leftovers when dcpromo-ed down. As already mentioned, you will need to make sure all the metadata is cleaned up, NTDS objects are removed (if the servers do not exist, you can manually delete the NTDS and server objects) and that the DNS does not have SRV, A and NS records pointing to the old servers.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I ran the ntds cleanup utility and removed the traces of the old ADS. Everyone looks great in the event log now with no replication errors.

Thanks Again,

Joel

Comment

cool mate.

glad it's sorted and thanks for posting back advising it worked.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X