No announcement yet.

site and services - setup help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• site and services - setup help

we current have 3 servers on our network (2 file servers / dns / dhcp / ad + 1 exchange /ad /dns)

our setup is

router -

s1 -
    s2 -
    s3 -

BUT.. our company have just open a remote office, so we have built a new server for this office and setup as fileserver / dns / dhcp / ad (initially I have set the server up with the ip address

The two offices are being connected by to routers (using vpn endpoint)

In sites and services I renamed the first site ect.. to midlands and added Scotland.then I set up subnets as

After this the new server ip address was changed to (though the gateway was left as to test in the same office

From the new server I was unable to browse to \\s1 , is this because im using the wrong gateway setting (unable to change until move to new office) or because ive set something else up wrong

Re: site and services - setup help

If your IP address is / 24 and your gateway is / 24 then they are on seperate subnets and thus cannot see each other. You can confirm this by pinging your gateway ( - It should timeout

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

that what i thought. but is this the right setup once the server is moved

(with the exception that router for scotland will be (i.e the right gateway address))

will the two locations see each other? (when linked via vpn on the router)

Make sure you add the DC to the proper site.

Also, you may want to brush up on IP networking

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond