Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate NT to 2003 (same domain)

Hello.

In two weeks I have to migrate and old server with Windows NT4 to Windows 2003 R2 with new hardware.

The current scenario is:
    • 1 Old Server with Windows NT4 Server acting as PDC and domain master (i.e domain.local)

• 4 Servers with Windows 2000 Server, all of them are Member servers, none has roles nor AD.

• 1 New server. This one will have the new installed 2003 R2 and must act as Domain Master, hold AD etc, after removing the old one (NT)

I'm experienced in migrations from 2000 to 2003 etc, but I've never migrated from NT to 2000/2003 while maintaining the same domain name.

The key problem for me is: how I do migrate the users from the old NT to the new 2003 whitout losing the current domain name?
    Since AD was introduced with Windows 2000 Server i'm not sure if I must move FSMO Roles to the new 2003 server, same with Global Catalog, etc.

If the scenario is not clear enough, let me know and I will try to explain better.

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.

P.S: Yes, my english is a bit poor... I do my best

Re: Migrate NT to 2003 (same domain)

Is In-Place upgrade not an option for you?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4tows03-2.mspx
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      Is In-Place upgrade not an option for you?
      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4tows03-2.mspx
      Dumber, thanks for your reply.

I assume In-Place Upgrade is upgrading the current installation from NT to 2003.
      Is not an option because there is a new hardware setup for the 2003 box, the current NT runs on a old P3 1000Mhz with 512Mb and 20Gb of Hard Disk.

When migration is finished, old server will be useless junk.

Anyways thank you

Comment

You could:
        -Do an inplace upgrade on the NT machine
        -run dcpromo on the new 2003 server to make it an additional DC
        -transfer the FSMO roles to the new server
        -make the new server a GC
        -run dcpromo (demote) on the old server

and voila, inplace upgrade to new hardware.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          You could:
          -Do an inplace upgrade on the NT machine
          -run dcpromo on the new 2003 server to make it an additional DC
          -transfer the FSMO roles to the new server
          -make the new server a GC
          -run dcpromo (demote) on the old server

and voila, inplace upgrade to new hardware.
          Uhm that option looks good, but a bit complicated. Anyways I will count with it.

The only problem could be the old hardware. Will 2003 setup on a Pentium3 with 512Mb? That's the main problem.

Thank you JeremyW!

Comment

If you download the Word doc that Marcel posted the link to, you'll notice that it goes over doing an inplace upgrade and new hardware replacement scenarios.
            Take a look and see if it provides a viable solution.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

or,
              • install a tempdc server with NT4 as bdc. (if really nessesary you can do this on a desktop/notebook or even vmware)
              • Make him pdc
              • wait until everything is replicated
              • Upgrade it to windows 2003
              • (become DC)
              • install new server with windows 2003
              • Dcpromo
              • move fsmo roles etc to new server.
              • wait until everything is replicated
              • dcpromo tempdc to make him member
              • Format it.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

1. Swing Migration. http://www.sbsmigration.com/ - Best option.

2. I have a collegue who has done several of these and he upgrades NT4 to Windows 2000 Server and then to Windows Server 2003. Might seem a bit of the long way round but he hasn't had any problems with this method. I tried an NT4 to 2003 and it worked....for a while. After 5 months had enough problems I ended up wiping it all and doing a clean install. Fortunately only 30 users.

Anyone else have any words of wisdom?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello,

First of all thanks to all for the fast replies.

I've been thinking about it and I consider the easiest way to do it is installing NT on the new server (or a virtual one), making it PDC, replicate with the old one then upgrading to 2003.

Other option I've considerated is to install Windows 2003 on the new server, add to the domain, promote as Domain Controller and then make it FSMO holder and GC, but i'm not sure if it will work because NT doesn't knows about FSMO roles, GC, etc etc.

I've also looked at the Microsoft document Dumber posted a link to, and as JeremyW said, checked the chapter New Hardware Replacement Deployment Scenario but i can see no other way to do it. Using Active Directory Migration Tool is not an option because it moves users from one domain to another, but I need to keep the same domain name.

I will continue investigating.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibreel View Post
                    Hello,

First of all thanks to all for the fast replies.

I've been thinking about it and I consider the easiest way to do it is installing NT on the new server (or a virtual one), making it PDC, replicate with the old one then upgrading to 2003.
                    DId you read my steps? :P
                    AND, did you read the Inplace upgrade part????

@Biggles, I never read the http://www.sbsmigration.com/ documentation BUT, AFAIK we don't talking about sbs.
                    Its just a inplace upgrade migration
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

Comment

From the Swing Migration sites documentation.

What is a Swing Migration?
                      Swing Migration is a process to accomplish either a version upgrade or server replacement migration without giving up the domain, or the server name, or the Exchange Information Store in the process, all while working offline with an open time line.

You get a clean server installation that retains all the critical Active Directory domain information is predictable. It's a method for bringing all versions of SBS, NT4, Win2K, or Win2003-based domains as upgrades to SBS 2003. Swing Migration solves technical issues, business interruption, and scheduling challenges. Construction is performed almost entirely offline, with an open-ended timeline. No repairs are needed if a problem halts the upgrade. Swing migration minimizes the preparations and changes to the production server, and that server remains in operation during the upgrade. Only during the final transition do you move the data and Exchange Stores to the fully constructed new server, which you then slide into service to replace the previous server. The domain accounts remain unchanged, you can keep the server name, and alternate paths in the process use the previous hardware. These upgrades have predictable outcomes; they are safe even for entry level technicians.
                      The process not only works for SBS but also the other O/S mentioned (especially the one I bolded). Admittedly I have never used Swing Migration but I have read a bit and if I have understood Steven correctly, this method will work in Gibreels situation.

Originally posted by Dumber
                      Its just a inplace upgrade migration
                      which = Swing Migration.

Steven will shoot me down if I am wrong, misleading or confused. (I have PM Steven to have a look in case I have completely misunderstood what I have read.)
                      Last edited by biggles77; 10th January 2007, 03:08.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Follow Dumber's instructions. use any box for BDC or PDC, upgrade to 2003
                        introduce newer hardware let it become the king and master of everything.
                        dcpromo to get rid of the upgraded box.
                        never run 2003 as an upgrade version for very long.
                        it will break.

Comment

Had to step in here and defend Biggles! sbsmigration is not just about sbs. It's for any single domain/forest network. Its benefits are keeping the same domain name/SIDs/user profiles. keeping the current network up and running whilst you work offline in a lab environment to build the "new" network - consequently you have nothing to restore if it goes wrong, just start again!
                          Thirdly you get rid of the CRUD, we generate over the years as install this or tweak that. You have your old users/AD in a new fresh clean environment, IMNSHO the best of all worlds!
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Well,
                            First of all sorry for not posting before, i've been out of the city today.
                            My final plan is to install another NT on my laptop under VMware, make it BDC, upgrade to 2003 then migrate it to the new box with 2003 over the new hardware and remove the temporal one and the old NT.

I think it's the best way to do it, not the faster but maybe the safer

Again, thanks to all for your replies and ideas.

Greetings!

Comment

That is the essence of Swing Migration. The "extra" is how to make your final server the same name as the Original Server so none of the links/share/printers etc break on the desktop. And Exchange as well! http://www.sbsmigration.com/ for $200 and not just SBS!
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X