AD question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD question

After joining the xp pro machine to a DC, I want to give admin right, so went thru "computer Management" -> Administrators -> Add -> Changed the location field to DC, Typed the name of the user, when I click Ok

I get the following error message, how do I fix this issue.

Windows cannot process the object with the name "username" because of the following:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

Can some tell me how to fix this issue.

Re: AD question

Is this the only machine getting this error?

If it is check the DNS settings on that machine, make sure the primary DNS is your DC. If the DNS settings on the workstation are good, make sure that the DC has the DNS role installed.

If everything looks ok on the workstation and the DNS role is there on the DC it usually means that the DNS server does not have the SRV records properly registered.
    Read this if the SRV records are missing... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241505/

Check into this and let us know your findings.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I apologize, I didn't mean to double post, I'll check that and let you know.

Comment

(ahinson wrote:Is this the only machine getting this error?)

all the machines are getting the same error message.

(ahinson wrote:If it is check the DNS settings on that machine, make sure the primary DNS is your DC. If the DNS settings on the workstation are good, make sure that the DC has the DNS role installed.)

My primary DNS is my DC, I dont understand what do you mean by "DNS role", I do see all the SRV record registered, I rebooted the system couple time to make sure I have it all set right.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxwizman View Post
          (ahinson wrote:Is this the only machine getting this error?)

all the machines are getting the same error message.

(ahinson wrote:If it is check the DNS settings on that machine, make sure the primary DNS is your DC. If the DNS settings on the workstation are good, make sure that the DC has the DNS role installed.)

My primary DNS is my DC, I dont understand what do you mean by "DNS role", I do see all the SRV record registered, I rebooted the system couple time to make sure I have it all set right.
          On the DC run netdiag and dcdiag make sure everything checks out.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

also you can to some test with nslookup on the client to check that you are using your DC dns and not something else...
            MCSE 2000 Done
            RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
            X