Unable to rename PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to rename PC

When I try to name a PC (I want a specific name), it states a duplicate name exists on the network.

I know for certain, that no other PC has this name or is currently in AD using this name.

If the name does not appear in AD (Ive done a thorough search), what else can be causing this conflict?

Thanks

Re: Unable to rename PC

Have you tried removing the machine from the domain, changing the name whilst being part of a workgroup and re-joining?

Comment

Have tried that, no joy Im afraid. When its in a workgroup, it still states a duplicate name exists when I try to give it this specific name.
      Last edited by marcus2704; 15th December 2006, 10:59.

Comment

Marcus,

I don't know what else to suggest, sorry. Even if you use the same company name for all the machines, Windows put's it's *own* tag on the end purely to stop this thing happening.

Someone more experienced will probably be along who can suggest something else to try.

Comment

Disjoin the computer from the domain. Find the computer account in AD, delete the account, wait for any replication then rename the computer, then join back to AD.

Hope that helps
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I have removed the PC from the domain, into a Workgroup, and tried to name it to the specific name I want but its then it says duplicate name exists on the network. There is no computer account in AD with the name I am trying to name it to.

For now, Ive broken the naming convention I wanted for this PC, and its joined the domain happily with the new name so I could leave it at that.

Id be interested in knowing why I couldnt rename the pc to the one I wanted as it seems to think that the computer account already exists in AD when it doesnt.

Pehaps some time in the past, it was given the name I am trying to use, and removed. Even then though, surely if the name is removed from AD it should then be possible to give a subsequent PC that same name again.

Comment

Sorry ive just re-read your post. Duplicate name on the network is simply that. A computer on the physical network (not nessecarily in AD).

Try pinging the computer name. Does it reply? How about doing \\computername\c$ and looking in documents and settings to see which user profiles have logged onto that machine? Check the event log as it will tell you the ip address of the conflicting computer (and mac address if i remember correctly).
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Theres no ping response either. Perhaps its a replication issue, that will resolve itself over time.

Comment

Is there any entry in DNS or a HOSTS. file?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

And how about a search in AD itself - it may have been accidently moved to another OU
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X