Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from NT4

HI,
    I am getting ready to migrate my NT Domain to AD. I have 2 NT servers. PDC and BDC

The PDC hosts DHCP, DNS, WINS and Exchange.

The BDC host nothing...just authentincation.
    I have 2 new servers on order. 1 for a DC and the other for Exchange.

Should I move my DHCP, and DNS to the new server? The current PDC is not getting upgraded yet....I have to get my exchange information off of it first on to a new Exchange 2003 box.
    Or should I just go through the upgrade, then do a DCPromo to get AD up and running, then DC Promo my new server and move DHCP to that? I think that would be the easiest.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am hoping for a seamless upgrade....

Re: Migrating from NT4

Do not repeat NOT consider having Exchange on an AD Domain Controller!

You will need AD up and running before setting up Exchange 2003

How about:
    Make BDC into PDC
    Demote PDC (I assume this will not break Exchange 5.5) to member server
    (Not sure if you would need to do this, but it separates Exchange and PDC

Create new AD Domain Controller

Create new Exchange Server
    Create AD Connector with old Exchange Server
    Migrate email & Users
    Migrate Data

Decommission Old Servers

Sorry, not fully worked out, but a general strategy
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,
      I do not plan on having exchange on my DC. I have 2 new servers coming. 1 for AD, 1 for Exchange 2003.

I know I have to promote my BDC to PDC, then go through the upgrade. I think doing an upgrade to my BDC (PDC once Promoted) will keep all my user information, workstation information and then I can create an exchange connector to migrate mailboxes. Or am I making this harder than I need to? We did consider creating a new Domain, but we have a good amount of inherent info we want to migrate as well.

When demoting my PDC that is hosting Exchange, you say Assuming it will not break Exchange 5.5...can you confirm it will not, or someone that reads this maybe?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        How about:
        Make BDC into PDC
        Demote PDC (I assume this will not break Exchange 5.5) to member server
        (Not sure if you would need to do this, but it separates Exchange and PDC
        This is NT 4.0 and you can NOT demote a Domain Controller (PDC or BDC) to a Member Server.

Make sure you have backups BEFORE attempting anything suggested. Also make sure you have tested the backup and be sure it works.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          This is NT 4.0 and you can NOT demote a Domain Controller (PDC or BDC) to a Member Server.

Oops! That was too long ago -- I remember you could change BDC to PDC and back with some difficulty
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X