No announcement yet.

Proper method to replace AD master

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper method to replace AD master

I have tried this once, and did not have success.
    I have an existing AD with one domain server. The domain server is windows 2000 server. I purchased a new server to replace it. The new server has windows 2003 R2 server on it. Here is what I have done:
    1. On the windows 2000 server, I ran the addprep for forest and domain.
    2. On the windows 2003 server, I ran dcpromo. It completed successfully, and rebooted the server.
    3. Setup DNS server on the 2003 server.

I tried moving the roles from the 2000 server to the 2003 server. It worked with no errors, but when I powered down the 2000 server, the domain became laggy logging in, managing, etc. Also, on the 2003 server it gave errors about contacting the domain server. I tried running dcpromo on the windows 2000 server so I could remove it from the domain, but generated an error about contacting the domain controller. So, I transferred the roles back to the 2000 server.

What are the proper steps so I can finish this replacement ?
    How can I verify that I have the dns server on the 2003 server setup right ? It resolves domain names, and I can access websites, etc.

thanks for any help,

Re: Proper method to replace AD master

Did you make the new Domain Controller a Global Catalogue??

It does not do this by default when promoting a DC, it only does this for the very first DC in a new domain.

Let me know how you get on.

I would run DCDIAG and NETDIAG on the new DC to see if there are any issues

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Proper method to replace AD master

Yes, in my first attempt (failed) I made the new windows 2003 server the global catalog (checked the box). I cleared the checkbox on the windows 2000 server to deactivate it as a global catalog.