Verify fail over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verify fail over

If I add a second 2003 DC to an existing 2003 AD site how can I be assured that in case of the first DC failing the second will take over. I already have several 2000 DC in the domain and they do not take over. If the 2003 DC fails the network goes down. The GC is on the second 2000 DC so it must need something else. I was thinking I would add another 2003 DC and dcpromo it, but wanted to know if I needed to do anything after dcpromo to make sure the new 2003DC does not suffer the same issue as the existing 2000 DC's.

Re: Verify fail over

Make sure all DC's are GC as well.

You may also want to look into running DNS and DHCP ( 20 / 20 dhcp rule) on additional machines (I use DC's as there is not much overhead for these services)

Also make sure your DC's are running fine by running DCDIAG and NETDIAG on them and checking the eventlog for any errors.

Also when you log on go into a dos prompt and type 'set' This will tell you which DC you authenticated against. If all link costs are the same (If you have any) then you should eventually see some workstations authenticate agains different DC's

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Good advice
      Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      ( 20 / 20 dhcp rule)
      Ahem, I think you mean the 80/20 rule
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        Good advice
        Ahem, I think you mean the 80/20 rule
        Dont know where the hell I got 20 / 20 rule from

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If you run DCPromo it should be running DNS. Brings up a good point though, i will look at the DNS addresses on the servers and make sure they have the DC's in the list.

But setting up multiple 2003 DC's I don't have to manually set up replication or any other manual config to have DC failover right? Multimaster roles and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Variable06 View Post
            But setting up multiple 2003 DC's I don't have to manually set up replication or any other manual config to have DC failover right? Multimaster roles and all that.
            Correct. once you DCpromo a server it will automatically start to replicate from it's replication partner i.e. the other server.

You can check to see how up to date it is by using a tool called replmon (use )

But in order for it to be truely a failover server you need to make it a Global catalogue server. If your original server does fail / go down for an extended period of time you may want to look into siezing the FSMO roles (http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm) otherwise you will encounter issues.

Hope this helps

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Yes, this is what I thought. I just didn't understand why the 2000 AD machine which has the GC, doesn't take over. I assumed it was a failed 2003 AD migration but it could be something else.

Comment

Thats why you should always run DCDIAG and NETDIAG after you have promoted a server to a DC just to ensure it working fine.

Did you run these tests?

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Yes, they dont show any errors. I am thinking it is something else. If a servers have a hardcoded DNS entry and all DC's are not listed that could be one issue, it also could be DHCP is not running on all the DC's. Possibly need to split up leases between them.

Comment

Working...
                  X