Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory to Visio

Hi ppl
    Anyone can help. i am trying to export Active directoy to a visio diagram. i had a look at microsoft solution http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.11).aspx I dont know visual C so i am having dificulty getting it to work. Does anyone know easier way of pulling all user data or some software that would do that, which groups users belong to, all the data on active directory basically. Basically what i am trying to achive is to sortout AD, it is messed up with soo many duplication and groups all over the place.
    I need to fix it. please help.

Thanks

Re: Active Directory to Visio

What exactly are you trying to do?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

One of the previous versions of Visio (can't remember which one) had a wizard that allowed you to get a detailed map of your AD, with all the containers and the different objects inside. The 2003 version comes with a wizard like that for web sites diagrams.
      But what about Active Directory? Taking in consideration the fact that AD is growing bigger and bigger, with much richer schema, such a tool can be sometimes of great help (especially in cases when a new SysAdmin has to manage an already existing AD).
      So, the question is: what about that wizard? And if not Visio, is there any tool available?
      If I understood right, this is what jay01 meant.

TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi guys
        I want to tidy up active directory. at the moment there too many duplication. I want to redesign the whole active directory structure. I was thinking if I can get everything on Visio that will allow me to design the ad.
        can you suggest better ways to do this.
        Regards

Comment

You could import the AD structure in Visio 2002, but Microsoft pulled that in Visio 2003. I think HP makes an add-on not specific for Visio that will do this. NetDoc AD is another add-on you might wnt to check out at http://www.dataassist.de/en/index.php?id=10

There is an MSDN article that explains how to make a connector and interface it to Visio 2003 using Visual Basic 2003. I attempted the tutorial and got lost. Needless to say, I abandoned all hope.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Guys i have managed to get active directory on to visio. For reference if anyone wants to do this. you will need a copy of visio 2000 enterprise edition plus enterprise tools addins, and you can pull your entire active directoy onto visio. very very handy.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the update!
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Cool, Jay.
                I'll try finding the dinosaur, install it and see it in action. The question is now: how will Visio2003 handle it? Will recognize the objects and their properties?
                I'll keep you posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Visio 2000 had a nice network discovery tool that MS in their wisdom removed from 2003 (so I have been told. Haven't had a look at 2003 yet.)
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Try AdMap, it's freeware, depends how detailed you want it to be.

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8420
                    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

sorinso
                      yes it works fine visio 2003 and also on visio 2007 professional. you have to save the drawing as visio 2000 then you can open it with either of them. im currently using the ad drawing with visio 2007 pro.

Comment

I have Visio 2000 Professional. Can the AutoDiscovery tool be added to this or does it only come in the Enterprise version?

TIA
                        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Only the Enterprise Edition.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                          X