Change Domain Name in Mixed Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Domain Name in Mixed Mode

Is there a way to change to domain name on a windows 2003 R2 server in mixed mode? The domain name I gave it is trying to grab from another address, causing the workstations a really long time to log in.

Re: Change Domain Name in Mixed Mode

Nevermind I found a domain renaming tool

Comment

You want to tell us what it is?

Normally renaming a domain is a major task, which is why you should use some non-internet domain name e.g. mydomain.local for your internal domain name

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We actually didn't have time to use the tool or figure out how to use it, it was on microsoft's website, we just dcpromo'd it out and back in again with a .local domain. It was a pain but we had to do it.

Comment

So you killed your whole domain, then recreated it?
          Thats very brave! Recreating all your GPOs, groups and permissions will be fun!

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It was only 12 users; it took 15 minutes to put them all back in and set up their profiles. Most of the permissions were still there, I just had to had them back in for 1 share folder and that was it!

Comment

But for some reason I still see a GPO error in the event log, even though I didn't touch or do anything with GPO.

Comment

Ok, so after observing people again, it seems that they are still taking a while to log in...so I pretty much did all of that for nothing. But I researched some more and though that kerberos might be the issue, does something need to be specifically configured for it that doesn't happen by default?

Comment

Maybe if you tell us the symptoms and your setup then maybe we can help you troubleshoot the issue.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I've explained my symtoms and setup...

Comment

Don't make me pull this out again http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

For example: in a previous post you said you had an error in the event log but failed to give any detail whatsoever about the error. We have no idea what the clients are running, network layout, is it a new setup (yes, I know you just ran dcpromo for your R2 server), has it always behaved like it does... shall I continue?
                      Last edited by JeremyW; 6th December 2006, 23:03. Reason: Changed SBS to R2. Brain and hands were not communicating very well
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

There Windows XP machines, everything is a new layout. It has behaved like this since the first person to ever log in. I'm not at their workstations so I can't give you the exact error, but they were getting some type of group policy error. They were on a windows 2000 server before. I was looking around in the dns settings under foward lookup zones, newdomain.local, _msdcs. In there I noticed that the old server with the old domain was still in there. I took that out and put the new one in. I don't know if that will do anything buts its worth a shot.

Comment

Deleting the old server's DNS info is a good start. I would run ipconfig /registerdns on the new server to make user all the proper records are there.

A few questions though:
                          How did you remove the old DC?
                          How did you upgrade to 2003 R2?
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The old DC was DC promo'd out and just disconnected and turned off. A completely new server was brought in and had 2003 R2 on it, and I rebuilt everything in there.

Comment

Also, all their data was transferred to the new server before it was DC Promo'd out. Thats all I did with the old server.

Comment

Working...
                              X