Automate self contained cluster with Integrated AD on nodes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate self contained cluster with Integrated AD on nodes

For various reasons I am building a two node cluster on Win2k3 with AD on the nodes. I am following the directions from Microsofts KN281662 article. I have manually built the servers, AD and Cluster with complete success. I have run into problems with DNS on the second node while trying to automate the installation.

I am using sysprep and ghost of a basic Win2k3 OS. I have no problems with with first node. All the scripts to install AD, DNS, and Cluster all installs fine. When I install the second node I cannnot automate the DNS installation. I need DNS on both nodes. It keeps getting skipped. To install AD, I am using "dcpromo.exe /adv /answer:c:\files\dcpromojoin.txt." In the aswer file I have tried "DNSOnNetwork=no" and "AutoConfigDNS=yes" and even "DNSOnNetwork=yes" with no luck.

Does anyone know how to install a secondary DNS through script, command line or any other automated way?

If you have configured the first node with AD integrated DNS zones, there is no need to configure DNS. Install the DNS service and let it pick up the zones through DNS partitions replication (assuming the zones on first node have been created as seperate application partitions)
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

AD does pickup the Integrated Zones however, because the second node does not have a full dns installed (Just AD Integrated) when the first node fails (the one with a full dns installed) the cluster fails over to the second node and the second node trys to register the second node as the owner of the virtual server. Because the first node is down and the second node does not have a full dns the dns entry does not get updated and I am unable to get to the virtual server.

The problem lies in automating the install of a full dns server service on the second node. When I used the sysprep it sees an existing dns server on the network and skips installing the dns service. I need a way to force it to install.

Might I have setup the AD incorrectly? I appreciate the assistance.

Comment

I am not familliar with DC clustering, so some questions to try to understand what you are trying to achieve:

1) What do you mean by "full dns" ?
        2) is the second node supposed to register in non AD integrated zone ? (if it's not AD integrated, only the DNS server hosting the primary zone can register the clients - servers hosting secondary zones are hosting the read-only copy)
        3) brief description of your DNS zones setup could help.

btw, you can script DNS zones creation using dnscmd.exe (part of W2K3 support tools)
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
        X