No announcement yet.

Error when dcpromo

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error when dcpromo

I have an Active directory on Windows 2000 server. I purchased a new server with Windows 2003 server on it to replace the 2000 server with. Here is what I have done.

1. Updated 2000 server to sp 4.
    2. Stuck the windows 2003 server Cd into the windows 2000 server cdrom drive.
    ran the following:
    (a) i386\adprep /forestprep
    (b) i386\adprep /domainprep
    (c) i386\adprep /domainprep /gpprep
    all successfully ran without error.
    3. Rebooted 2000 server.
    4. on 2003 server, ran dcpromo. Took the defaults. It trundled away. Failed with
    the following error:
    "The version of the active directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of active directory on this computer".

How do I get past this ?

Re: Error when dcpromo

Did you the error?

Google Results

Common Mistakes When Upgrading a Windows 2000 Domain To a Windows 2003 Domain
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

If this is R2 version of 2K3 then use the ADPREP version that is on the R2 disk and not the i386 one. BTW have never used that /gpprep on any domain before.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

teiger: thanks a million. Right on the mark. The R2 version of adprep is located on the second CD in the cmpnents\r2\adprep directory. Once I that version with /forestprep and /domainprep, I was able to DCpromo successfully on the win2k3 server.

biggles77 : I did google it, and I did read some of those references. None seemed to be the case I was dealing with. Thus I posted here. Thanks for the references though.

thanks all,