No announcement yet.

I want to create a new Domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to create a new Domain

I currently have an NT4 Domain. I just started this job, and what I have in front of me is
    PDC -NT4.0 SP6 - Running Exchange, Backups, File Server
    BDC - NT4.0 SP6
    App Server - Win2k - Payroll, SPAM, BlackBerry

What I want to do is Get new Hardware for DC'S and Exchange

I can create a new AD Domain no problems, but what is my best solution to get my current users mailboxes over. I am not too worried about joining users PC's to the new domain, but I would like to do this in 2 Parts.

Step 1 - Create new domain - Users Authenticate to AD
    Step 2 - Migrate Mailboxes over to Exchange 2003

Can I Create the new domain, leave my legacy domain up and running so my users can access Email, until I get the new Exchange server up and running. I would like to use the existing IP address from the current PDC\Exchange box for my new Exchange server, just to save some leg work with DNS, MX Records and so forth.
    Can I have Exchange 5.5 coexist with Exchange 2003?

Dose anyone have any suggestions for this type of transition?

I feel starting fresh by not upgrading will be my easiest way to go and cleanest.

Re: I want to create a new Domain

I disagree with you a thousand times, sorry. Starting again gives you the most work with every desktop losing its profiles, printers, mapped drives, desktops and permissions.
    What you need to do IMNSHO is to create an AD from your current NT users, and save the domain name space, if possible. Recreate a new server in 2K3 with the same name as in NT to hold the Exchange server. This is all outlined in (not just for SBS). What's more it lets you do all this offline so that your current domain is kept up and running and you don't have to work nights and weekends!

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: I want to create a new Domain

I understand where you are coming from, but we are a pretty small most 30 users in house and 40 or more laptop road warriors, that very rarley log onto the domain. The user desktop profiles and permissions are actually not too important...I would say the most important part of the users desktops would be their IE favorites. All thier docs go to the file server.
      I plan on creating DFS links, for minimum mapped drive needs. The print server will need to be redone anyway, as it is hosted on my NT 4 PDC...which is going away.
      We want to start this as if it were a brand new company...Working the nights and weekends dont bother me...the current servers need to be reconfigured anyway, so I can start will all new servers for AD...once this is done, I can migrate users, setup a connector to use the existing exchange server until I am ready to move on that.....
      I could also use exmerge and get all users mailboxes in pst format, and then get them into exchange 2003