No announcement yet.

Systems Administrator

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systems Administrator

Greetings everyone,

My name is Jeff and I am a SysAdmin who was recently moved into an Active Directory administration position. I have been on Petri many times in the past and have always found really great information here.

Today I decided it was time to register and see if the minds of Petri could help me uncover an error I am getting with my Netdiag tests. I am receiving this message:

Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Failed
    List of transports currently bound to the Redir
    The redir is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

List of transports currently bound to the browser
    The browser is bound to 1 NetBt transport.
    Mailslot test for DOMAIN2* passed.
    [FATAL] Cannot send mailslot message to '\\DOMAIN1*\MAILSLOT\NET\NETLOGON' via redir. [ERROR_BAD_NETPATH]

Domain1 is our top level domain. We have many DCs in each domain and no other DC is receiving this error. I have had no luck finding info about this message.

This DC was recently P2V'd with VMWare, which may have something to do with it. Everything seems to be working but this error keeps causing my scripts to fail so I'd like to clean it up.

Anyone have any info for me?

I appreciate your help.

Re: Systems Administrator

did you recreate the paths identically in the P2V machine? P2V is tricky, and isnt easy to troubleshoot as most companies dont support the V, much less the P2V aspect.

check your IPSec settings. it looks like maybe your DC IPSec policy is set to require security for connections that match this rule... check to see if the IPs are the same and make sure that your not using a server that had a reservation on the MAC or something simple like that...

any static routes?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

First of all, thank you for replying.

I figured out my issue. I went on Microsoft Premier Support website and found some good info about how MailSlots communicate, which I new nothing of, and that they will send a Broadcast if need be but not until they attempt a NetBIOS name first with a WINS lookup. Right off the bat I thought it was a VLAN communication issue, but then realized that Domain2 did succeed in communicating.

I did not build the VM instance of this DC, but it turns out there wasn't any WINS servers configured. I plugged them in and everything PASSED in my Netdaig test.

Again, I appreciate the attempt to trouleshoot this with me.

Jeff, thanks for posting back with the solution to your problem. It is appreciated as it may help others in the future who have the same or similar problem.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015