Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4 Migration to 2003

Hi,
    I am getting ready to start a new job, and the first task will be to migrate NT to 2003. I will be choosing the upgrade path, once I get a BDC up and running...Yeah...only a PDC there. I am curious to how many of you out there run Exchange 2003 on your DC's? I dont know if they have a stand alone box now, bu tpart of this migration will be all new hardware. I was thinking 2 servers for DC's, 1 for Exchange 2003, and 1 Storage Server.
    Now with new hardware, prefferably Dell, is it possible to find a server that fits my DC specs and load NT on it, or should I just scrounge up a machine, assuming it can handle 2003, load NT, get it on line as a BDC, then promote and then upgrade?

Thanks.....

Re: NT4 Migration to 2003

Originally posted by spepi View Post
    I am curious to how many of you out there run Exchange 2003 on your DC's?
    Alot of people still do this but it is not supported by Microsoft.

If you can get the funding then i would install a dedicated exchange box.
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I realize your budget must be tight but running without a BDC and running a bunch of stuff on the PDC is a bet I wouldn't take. I would think you'd be better off buying / borrowing the next two desktops that come in, making sure they have enough RAM and disk, and utilizing them as you PDC / BDC pair. Let Exchange live by itself on the existing server. We did something similar while staging a new Joint Venture company and ran happily for 2+ years with many users till we completely commissioned the final configuration. By that time, the workstations were rotated into low end desktop use.

If your company can't / is unwilling to afford 2 desktops / 2 licenses of W2K3 then I'd be looking for another job but I'm risk averse. No need to get burnt nor spend endless hours fixing problems that arise because someone in management is penny wise and pound foolish. Make a good business case. I'd be amazed if management will ignore the risk.

Ciao,

Rick
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hey..thanks for the insight...budget is not an issue...I havent even started at the job yet...but I know what needs to be done..I am just picking brains out there to see what others have run into in the past...I am not 100% on the environment..I do know they have a PDC and Exchange 5.5...and there is budget for upgrades of course...this was one of my first questions going into the interview....call me procative and want to make sure I have a succcesfull upgrade

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          Alot of people still do this but it is not supported by Microsoft.
          Actually it is a supported configuration.
          See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822179

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          If you can get the funding then i would install a dedicated exchange box.
          I agree!
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I plan on single boxes for all....any suggestions for Exchange 2003 with currently 85 users, growing to double within 2 years....

Server configs....without breaking the budget?

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
              Actually it is a supported configuration.
              See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822179
              Good find, I wonder if this is a recent change as it never used to be the case.
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk
              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

Comment

I thought it was a case of MS not recommending it rather than not supporting it.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  I thought it was a case of MS not recommending it rather than not supporting it.
                  Correct:

http://blogs.brnets.com/michael/arch...01/24/319.aspx

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X