No announcement yet.

Migration of fsmo roles between 2000dc and 2003dc

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration of fsmo roles between 2000dc and 2003dc

Hi All,

Just a short question. I'm in the process of upgrading our forest and domains to 2003 R2 server ad from 2000 server. I have sucesfully upgraded the forest schema and will do the domain schema's next week. I will be travelling to the US to carry out the install of 6 new server 2003 DC's. I will then be transferring the PDC Emulator, RID Master and the Infrastructure Master from a 2000 Server to a newly promoted 2003 DC. Does anyone know if their are likely to be any problems transferring these 3 roles between a 2000dc and the newly promoted 2003dc and also whether I should transfer these roles in a particular order or if this even makes any difference. ;o)

As background I have three sites in the US each with 2 domain controllers, all running win2k server sp4. The domain controller I will be upgrading first holds the three roles for the domain discussed above.

Many thanks

Tom Bridle
    Network Adminstrator

Re: Migration of fsmo roles between 2000dc and 2003dc

I don't have any experience with server 2000, just 2003, but what I know of FSMO roles leads me to believe that there should be no issues.

But I'm sure other people have gone through this and can either confirm or deny my assumption.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

As long as the Scheme and the all domains have been updated to 2003 there should be no problems transfering the roles.

Just make sure you dont have the Infrastructure master sitting on a DC with a GC under certain circumstances:

As a general rule, the infrastructure master should be located on a nonglobal catalog server that has a direct connection object to some global catalog in the forest, preferably in the same Active Directory site. Because the global catalog server holds a partial replica of every object in the forest, the infrastructure master, if placed on a global catalog server, will never update anything, because it does not contain any references to objects that it does not hold. Two exceptions to the "do not place the infrastructure master on a global catalog server" rule are:
      Single domain forest:

In a forest that contains a single Active Directory domain, there are no phantoms, and so the infrastructure master has no work to do. The infrastructure master may be placed on any domain controller in the domain, regardless of whether that domain controller hosts the global catalog or not.
      Multidomain forest where every domain controller in a domain holds the global catalog:

If every domain controller in a domain that is part of a multidomain forest also hosts the global catalog, there are no phantoms or work for the infrastructure master to do. The infrastructure master may be put on any domain controller in that domain.

Michael Armstrong
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Hi All,

Many thanks for the advice. I think it should hopefully all be fine.

Tom, you have probably read all the required info, but Daniel's excellent article reduces it to a pocket edition. This is all I used on my one and only 2000 Server upgrade to 2003 Server. Worked a treat.

- Transfering FSMO Roles

Also note the related links at the bottom of each page.

Hope it all goes well, would be interest to find out how it went and if you had problems (and if any, especially how you solved them).
          Departed: 23rd December 2015

many thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Had a problem with adprep.exe /forestprep. It failed the first time with a meaningless error message in the log 'the database is busy'. Further log reading and investigation left me none the wiser. Seemed a few people on the web had the same issue but nobody had a reason. It loaded up a few schema changes but not all of them, and replication for my forest didn't work for a while, eventually however the schema changes were accepted (after 6 hours!) and everything settled down. I ran the command again the next day, after doing another systemstate backup of every dc globally, and it worked fine. This time I used the adprep on the server 2003 r2 disk 2 which includes version 31 update. All modifications were accepted globally after about 6 hours.

Hopefully on Monday the domainprep will work without such serious issues but I made sure my Microsoft PSS contract is at hand just in case ;o)