Error Joining the Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Joining the Domain

I need help figuring out an error I am now receiving when joining clients to my domain. After I enter my NETBIOS it will prompt for the user authorized to join the client to the domain. After I enter my domain admin and password I receive the following error in a network identification pop-up box:

Cannot join domain "www.mydomain.com": arithmetic results exceeded 32 bits.

Once I hit ok it returns me to the network properties. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Error Joining the Domain

Is your workstation in the same IPrange then your server ?

Comment

Here's a guy with the same problem. Said he fixed it by reinstalling SP1. Don't know if it applies to you.
      http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21525521.html

Here's what M$ has to say
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

What OS are you running? The two links I gave apply to two different OSes I think... the first one didn't say but I'm assuming.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I'm currently running W2K3 servers SP1. Half of my clients are on W2K and the other half are on XP. When I run dcdiag on both DC all tests pass. All of my clients are on the same network and within the same IP range. This problem is only on the machines running W2K. The XP machines are fine. Due to the nature of my company, I cannot upgrade the W2K machines to XP which would in turn fix my problem.

Comment

-Are the 2k machines up-to-date on their patches and service packs?
          -Does it happen on all your 2k machines?
          -When did this start happening?
          -How old is the installation of 2k3?
          -Did you recently update it to SP1?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The 2k machines are up to date with SP4 and all hotfixes/security updates. The problem is with the w2k machines only. I've had the problem for a couple of weeks, but the network was not in production at the time. Now that the network is in production and being accessed, I am now getting around to get the problem resolved. I've traced the problem back to my dfs share of SYSVOL. It appears that my dfs share is pointing to the wrong file gpt.ini file. Both DCs are looking for the gpt.ini file in:

\\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\(GPO) --> the gpt.ini file is actually located in: \\domain\policies\(GPO) --> physical location: %systemroot%\domain\policies\(GPO)

In my event viewer, I am receiving 2 errors every 5 minutes. The event IDs are: 1030 and 1058.

Because of this, I cannot join any W2K clients to the domain.

What I've tried so far:
            1) Ensured DNS was working and replicating... added an A record to ensure dc1 would replicate with dc2.

2) dcgpofix.exe - reset my gpo's (which is fine since I had not yet created any for the domain).

3) I imported a known working registry of the DCs prior to any clients joining. That did not help. It also ruled out M$ suggestion of missing "WaitForNetwork" registry key. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842804

4) I was attempting to demote dc1 to just a member server and re-add to the domain, but AD would not allow dc1 or dc2 (for that matter) to disjoin because: Arithmetic results exceeded 32 bits.

5) Attempted to deinstall and reinstall SP1, but a co-worker slipstreamed SP1 into the W2K3 Server disc so I could not remove SP1. If someone can tell me how to manually remove SP1 that would be great

Also, is there a way of manually pointing my DFS share to the right location? Using the DFS mmc does not work because once I click on Action -> Show Root -> domain -> I attempt to put in the UNC to the SYSVOL and I have had no luck. I do not have a lot of experience with DFS, so any help would be appreciated.

Comment

What makes you think that DFS is the issue? Did you configure a new DFS root?
              Could you post the full errors for 1030 and 1058?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy... I'm not at work (weekend)... but here is the error I've been getting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the location of the gpt.ini is in the SYSVOL "dfs" share. Since this is the error, this is what leads me to believe that it is a problem with my DFS root. I have not created any DFS shares. If you (or anyone) has any insight as to what can cause this error/problem... I would greatly appreciate it.

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
                CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=mydomain,DC= local.
                The file must be present at the location
                <\\mydomain.local\SysVol\mydomain.local\Policies\{ C31E4F07-4DF5-
                4449-AE0E-3B632E6DC4E5}\gpt.ini>.
                (Configuration information could not be read from the domain
                controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has
                been denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

I also cannot edit or change a default domain policy. It gives me the Arithmetic results exceeded 32 bits error.

Comment

Hello all,

Based on information provided in addition with event IDs 1058 and 1030, let's run:

dfsutil /PurgeMupCache

and that will take care of it

As a matter of fact, MS just updated the KB842804 on this problem two days ago; rev 8.1. FYI, a high revision of a KB usually indicates an "on going" issue .

Hope that helps,
                  Last edited by azmantek; 29th October 2006, 19:17.
                  Teamwork

Comment

Azmantek, thanks for the post.

Peanut, let us know if that does the trick. Judging by the information you've given you should already have the hotfix (bundled in SP1) that "addresses" this issue but, as Azmantek says, it seems to be an ongoing issue.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Sorry about the late response.

~Azmantek
                      I attempted to do what was suggested by M$ article but was not successful. Thanks anyway.

I've been placed on another project and the plug was pulled so the other admin are in the process of rebuilding.

So after that is complete, I will post and let you all know if there are anymore issues. Thanks for the assistance.

Comment

Working...
                      X