No announcement yet.

CN=Partitions ....problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CN=Partitions ....problem

I've been looking into a few AD issues our company has had recently and I've come across something odd.

I used ADSIEdit.msc to check that Sites and Services was the same on our Parent Site as it was on our 2 child domains as there were a few issues in replication.

Anyway, all was OK so I checked partitions and in 1 child domain there is a extra partition. Looking at Replmon, the CN=Configuration isn't replicating to this child domain, and I'm thinking this partition is the problem.

The server this is on is our remote DC in Sydney, Aus. It has 2 partitions for our other remote server in Bangkok, Thailand.

Name: CN=Bangkok
    Directory Partition Name: DC=bangkok\0ACNF:9a6c17d2-3ef0-4d2f-badc-ba5d650c1074,DC=company,DC=local
    Distinguished Name: CN=Bangkok,CN=Partitions,CN=Configuration,DC=compa ny,DC=local

Name: CN=BangkokCNF:a0a9bce4-c07f-4153-a93f-97fbfdbc85e4
    Directory Partition Name: DC=bangkok,DC=company,DC=local
    Distinguished Name: CN=Bangkok\OACNF:a0a9bce4-c07f-4153-a93f-97fbfdbc85e4
    ,CN=Partitions,CN=Configuration,DC=company,DC=loca l

I think that 2 is the incorrect one, and if I try to delete it I get the error message:

The Directory Service can perform the requested operation only on a leaf object.

What does this exactly mean, and how can I remove it? I think what happened is that one remote DC tried to replicate to another, not sure how as there was no connection set up for it to do it that way.

All the partition info and sites and services are correct in our other child domain, this seems to be the only problem.

Any advice would be much appriciated.

Kind Regards,
    Last edited by Jimwes; 30th October 2006, 12:20.

Re: CN=Partitions ....problem

Not sure whether this is right way of finding out, but I think that the first one is the correct one, because it's objectGUID matches that of the one in my parent DC CN=Partitions

Re: CN=Partitions ....problem

anyone have any ideas.....please

The only thing I can think of is to get one of us to go out to Australia and setup a 2nd DC, demote the first, metadata clear up blah blah blah and bring in DC1 again.

However, I was hoping for a solution that can be remotely done, and without another DC.