Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain and DNS problem

Hello everyone,

I have somewhat bizare problem with laptops that are added in domain.
    When computer is added in domain, it get's IP, DNS, GW through DHCP,
    and it can browse the Internet normally.
    However, when my users go with their laptops for example home on Internet using some commercial ISP (dial up, or ADSL), they mnage to get connection, and in the network properties you see that packets are going, but they cannot browse the Internet.
    When they check their connection with ipconfig /all , from there you can see that the "old" (domain) DNS remained, and that doesn't work. They can browse websites by IP addresses, but not by names.
    When I remove them from domain, everything's back to normal.

We don't have any specific group policy inside domain that could be causing this (as far as we know), so if anyone had a similar problem, any help would be appriciated.

Thank you!

Re: Domain and DNS problem

My initial thought was that you guys maybe had proxy settings enabled through GPO but since they can get out by using the IP address, that takes away my easy answer. lol

If they try a Repair on the connection will it pick up the correct DNS settings from home?

Comment

It sounds like the DNS name of your domain is getting appended as the DNS suffix. Try opening a command prompt on an affected machine (whilst connected off site) and ping a web site (www.google.co.uk) and see what returns.

Then you could try a ipconfig /release and then try reconnecting to the internet.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I had this on a laptop about 2 years ago and there is a Microsoft KB article for this. The IP is not released when disconnecting from the work Domain, the blasted thing sticks. Usually you disconnect and you get the 169.254.x.x IP. For some reason this doesn't happen and the Domain IPs etc stay.

Sorry I can't find it right now but I will have it somewhere. Have to work tomorrow (Saturday) so it may take some time to dig it up (if I can find it). In the meantime search or TechNet for something about IP not releasing.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ipconfig /dnsflush didn't help, neither did repair of connection (at home). Pinging by name doesn't give any results so we are pretty much desperate.

biggles77, these users actually do get new (and in my opinion usable) IP address from their ISP when connecting from home. The only thing that is not "refreshed", or
          propagated or whatever are DNS servers. We could set them up manually, but everyone use different IPS's so that isn't very elegant solution.
          Yes, we are trying to it, but it is very hard to describe this in few words.. thank you guys, for all the answers..

Comment

Do your clients have there DNS servers set as static??

We have DNS suffixes in our office and we can still browse the net normally when connected.

Comment

No, DNS servers are set through DHCP also, not as static values.

Comment

How do you users connect when external to the company??

They should be using the IP given by the ISP.

Have you thouroughly checked your Group Policies??

Run a gpresult on your clients. This will show you all the policies that are applied to the machine and user.

Have you checked all your proxy settings on the client?? You probably have but it may be worthwhile checking them again.

What DNS servers do you get when you dial in?? Can you query these DNS servers for websites by using the name?? NSLOOKUP will let you do this.

Comment

As well as wullieb1's suggestions can you send a screenshot of this page:
                  Attached Files
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                    How do you users connect when external to the company??

They should be using the IP given by the ISP.
                    The IP given by the ISP is/are valid

Have you thouroughly checked your Group Policies??

Run a gpresult on your clients. This will show you all the policies that are applied to the machine and user.
                    Yes, we have checked this, but from what I can see (I ran gpresult two times - once with computer added in a domain, and when computer is not in a domain), and nothing special comes up, some default policies, but we haven't defined nothing in them.. Same result in both cases..

Applied Group Policy Objects
                    -----------------------------
                    N/A

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Local Group Policy
                    Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

The computer is a part of the following security groups:
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    BUILTIN\Administrators
                    Everyone
                    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

USER SETTINGS
                    --------------

Last time Group Policy was applied: 17.10.2006 at 9:21:12
                    Group Policy was applied from: N/A
                    Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Applied Group Policy Objects
                    -----------------------------
                    N/A

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Local Group Policy
                    Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

The user is a part of the following security groups:
                    ----------------------------------------------------
                    None
                    Everyone
                    SophosAdministrator
                    SophosUser
                    BUILTIN\Administrators
                    BUILTIN\Users
                    NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
                    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
                    LOCAL

Have you checked all your proxy settings on the client?? You probably have but it may be worthwhile checking them again.
                    Yap, that's ok.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Can you post an ipconfig /all??

Please remove anything that is confidential.

If possible can you give one when connceted to the corporate lan and one when you are connected to the internet via ISP (modem).

BTW just as a dafty you do know that it is meant to be ipconfig /flushdns and not ipconfig /dnsflush

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                        Can you post an ipconfig /all??

Please remove anything that is confidential.

If possible can you give one when connceted to the corporate lan and one when you are connected to the internet via ISP (modem).
                        I asked one of my users to try it out tonight, so I'll post it in the morning

BTW just as a dafty you do know that it is meant to be ipconfig /flushdns and not ipconfig /dnsflush
                        yap

Comment

Originally posted by sensitive
                          I asked one of my users to try it out tonight, so I'll post it in the morning

yap
                          Thanks.

Should hopefully clear things up when we see it.

Comment

Here is result of ipconfig /all of a computer inside my firm, but it has public IP address (when it was in private range, he was added in domain and everything worked). Now his PC has public IP, and the connection is established, but it doesn't resolve DNS names.

ipconfig //all when in a domain and on manually configured public address:

Windows IP configuration

Primary Dns Suffix ...: abc.local
                            Node Type ..............: hybrid
                            IP Routing enabled .: No
                            WINS Proxy enabled: No
                            DNS Suffix search list: abc.local

Ethernet Adapter Local area connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix .:
                            Description ...............................: Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
                            Physical Address ......................: 00-15-58-20-0D-BC
                            Dhcp Enabled ...........................: No
                            IP address ................................: 161.xx.xx.47
                            Subnet mask .............................: 255.255.255.0
                            Default gateway ........................: 161.xx.xx.1
                            DNS Servers ..............................: 161.xx.xx.32
                            161.xx.xx.70

DNS resolving doesn't work. When I make nslookup:
                            DNS request timed out.
                            Timeout was 2 seconds.
                            Can't find server name for address 172.16.9.20 Timed out.
                            Default servers are unavailable

172.16.9.20 is PDC; DNS and DHCP server for my intranet.

ipconfig /all when computer is removed from domain

Windows IP configuration

Primary Dns Suffix ...:
                            Node Type ..............: hybrid
                            IP Routing enabled .: No
                            WINS Proxy enabled: No

Ethernet Adapter Local area connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix .:
                            Description ...............................: Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
                            Physical Address ......................: 00-15-58-20-0D-BC
                            Dhcp Enabled ...........................: No
                            IP address ................................: 161.xx.xx.47
                            Subnet mask .............................: 255.255.255.0
                            Default gateway ........................: 161.xx.xx.1
                            DNS Servers ..............................: 161.xx.xx.32
                            161.xx.xx.70

Nslookup works over 161.xx.xx.32, and I can browse Internet normally, DNS resolves, everything works fine..

Comment

Have you checked your HOSTS and LMHOSTS file for and rogue entries??

Comment

Working...
                              X