Removing Group membership does not remove Assigned software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Group membership does not remove Assigned software

I created a policy under User Configuration in order to Assign software to a defined group of users. These users are members of a Windows Group, and that group has Read and Apply policy rights. That caused the software to be installed at login for those users - so far so good. However, if I remove one of the users from the group, although that user gets a message the next time he logs in saying that the software is being removed, it doesn't actually get removed. There's an access denied message in the Application Event Log, saying that only an Administrator can uninstall the software. Is that normal ? If so it seems that AD gives the user temporary Admin rights to install the software, but the uninstall information does not do the same. Am I missing something ?

Re: Removing Group membership does not remove Assigned software

Dear

Removing G-Membership will not remove assign software but if the user is moved from the particular OU ... than that software will be unassigned.....

Try it

Comment

The GPO needs to be configured to remove the software... you can't just move the user or computer out of the OU nor can you just delete/un-link the GPO.
      http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

EDIT - Don't know where my head was. Depending on how you setup the deployment options the above applies.
      Last edited by JeremyW; 12th October 2006, 17:39.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by aman0333
        Dear

Removing G-Membership will not remove assign software but if the user is moved from the particular OU ... than that software will be unassigned.....

Try it
        Dear Aman0333 - thanks for your response. I've tried what I think you're suggesting, ie. moving the user account out into another OU rather than removing the user from the Group. However the effect is the same, ie. when I log in as that user I get a message saying it's removing the software but it doesn't do it, and the event log says I need to be an Administrator to remove software.

Regards, Dave C.

Comment

How did the user install the software in the first place?

If it's only one user you can go to the computer and uninstall the program with an admin account.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
            The GPO needs to be configured to remove the software... you can't just move the user or computer out of the OU nor can you just delete/un-link the GPO.
            http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

EDIT - Don't know where my head was. Depending on how you setup the deployment options the above applies.
            Hi Jeremy,

thanks for your response. The deployment options I selected were a)assign b)install at login, and c) uninstall when the user is no longer under the scope of management. I expected that last option to mean that the software unloads automatically if I move the user to another OU, or remove him from the group with rights to apply the policy. In fact when he logs in it does say it's removing the software, but it doesn't do so because he hasn't got the necessary access rights. The deployment mechanism seems to give him temporary admin rights to install the software, but not to remove it.

Comment

On how many computers does this application need to be uninstalled? Is it just one user or many?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
                On how many computers does this application need to be uninstalled? Is it just one user or many?
                Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for coming back to me again. it's a couple of users at the moment, but the user group for this software will change fairly often and what we were hoping was that simply by adding someone to the group with rights to apply the policy, or removing someone from the group, the software would be installed or removed. The group would therefore become the means of metering the software licences.

Dave C

Comment

Hmm, how about use that same concept with a group of computers instead? I don't know if that kind of topology would suit your needs. Though if it does, test it out and let us know how it goes.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X