Root domain in forest crashed -How do I regain control of Child domains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root domain in forest crashed -How do I regain control of Child domains

We had a forest of three domains each with a single server. We lost the root
    forest domain controller. It was then decided to reduce the complexity and
    run the domains as individual domains. The original root domain was replaced
    with a freestanding domain.

We now have problems changing and upgrading the two remaining domains as it requires the user to be a member of the enterprise admins and this group no longer exists as the root domain is missing.

We actually want to add a windows 2003 server to one of the domains with 2 x
    ws2000 servers in it. But adprep /forestprep requires user as a member of
    enterprise admin and more.

Using ntdsutil to sieze domain naming master I get "insufficient access rights to perform the operation"

HOW can I seize the role and or how can I give the current domain admistrator the required rights

I have tried using ADSI edit to take ownership of some of the containers without any luck.
    Attached Files

Re: Root domain in forest crashed -How do I regain control of Child domains

Please restore the root domain server from backup or contact MS PSS.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
      1) New domain has been running for a while. Restore of root domain is no longer an option.
      2) What is MS PPS ms= Microsoft pps=?
      3) Does this mean that no one else will be able to help here ?

Thank You

Comment

PSS is the product support, they will charge you money unless you have some spare calls available (MSDN and so on).

I'd say you're in deep crap. There might be some magic that'll help here, but I don't think magic exists....

Next time you'll know what to do. You've learned your lesson.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
          I'd say you're in deep crap. There might be some magic that'll help here, but I don't think magic exists....
          Indeed deep, but not everything is lost. Without forest root, the child domains are time bombs ready to explode and the only magic I can think of is ADMT and migration with sIDHistory to brand new infrastructure.
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

We did use acronis server 7 to create images of the harddrive. But as murphy wanted, the active directory was corrupted on the restore. I will actually try to trace the old image and try to resurect the active directory. ( we now make seperate active directory backups and run backup domain servers and tested cloned harddrives)

Comment

===>>Indeed deep, but not everything is lost. Without forest root, the child domains are time bombs ready to explode and the only magic I can think of is ADMT and migration with sIDHistory to brand new infrastructure.

I am keen to try ADMT and migration with sIDHistory if Guy could just point me where and you to get started on this. I do have virtual machines setup and can easily experiment without risk. I also have some serious backup systems in place.

Thank you very mush for the help.

Comment

Hi , I ended up recreating a new domain, and users , have the stations unjoining the old domain and rejoining the new domain. Quest software actually have a very nice Active irectory Management software. I however found it a simpler to simply recreate the 30 users and transfer the data.

Comment

Working...
                X