miggrating from NT4 PDC to windows 2003 DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miggrating from NT4 PDC to windows 2003 DC

I am attempting to migrate a NT4 domain PDC (server) and workstations to a new Windows 2003 domain (server). I am really more concerned about the users and machime accounts then anything else. I really don't want to have to re-attach the workstations to the new domain and re-create the profiles. and can my NT4 domain controller still run on the same network at the same time as the 2003 server DC?.

Is it as simple as that? It appears as though ADMT3 will launch a little utility on all the workstations to re-join the new domain and set the SSID to the new server/domain. AT that point I am assuming when the workstations reboot they will be able to log in to the new domain with their old profiles intact. Is this correct? Am I missing any finer points? This almost seems too easy. I just want to make sure when I get out there that I don't wind up in a jam. Thanks!

Sorry if the question has been asked before.
    Last edited by andyd; 6th October 2006, 16:25. Reason: spelling mistake

Re: miggrating from NT4 PDC to windows 2003 DC

What you're wanting to do can be done (or so I've read)

http://www.petri.com/active_director...ndows_2003.htm

Microsoft has a book you can download about this topic
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And of course has tons of articles about it... like this one http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3082711

HTH
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

There are 2 approaches when migrating from NT to AD:

1) upgrade of the existing infrastructure. This involves performing in-place upgrade of PDC, and dcpromo-ing the upgraded server to DC. The approach maintains the old NETBIOS domain name and there is no need to rejoin the computers or touch user accounts.

2) migration to a different (already existing AD). in this case you would usually use ADMT to "copy" the user and computer accounts and re-join the computers to the new domain.

From what you are telling it sounds like you might want to consider upgrade instead of migration, but without details it's quite hard to advise on the proper approach.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

thanks for reply.

Is there anyway i can get away withit without touching the nt4 PDC at all and just intergrating my new 2003 domain controller into it? or do i really really have to upgrade my existing nt4 PDC also?

Comment

In chapter two of the MS book I gave a link to:
          If the PDC does not meet hardware requirements, deploy a new Windows NT 4.0 BDC on new server hardware. You can then promote the new BDC to the PDC, and this computer will become your first Windows 2003 domain controller.
          For details you can download and have a read.
          Last edited by JeremyW; 9th October 2006, 23:26. Reason: I gave the wrong chapter
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X