Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Domain in 2 locations

Hi all. Just quickly, a bit of background;

The firm I work for currently have 2 locations in different Towns. The main one is running a Windows server 2k3 stnd ed. Domain. The second is running a win 2k server Domain. Initially this was not setup as one as they were on dial-up. Now all running high speed broadband I want to setup one domain for both sites, as some users visit both.

I have got a new server for the second location, running Win server 2k3 stnd ed. as well and as said would like to get both locations running as "one". This is the first time I've tried anything like this and I'm running into a small problem.

I initially had the 2nd server in the first location and set it up locally as a second DC. I have since created a second Site and have moved the 2nd DC into the second site and have also physically moved the DC to the 2nd location. I have created a VPN between the 2 locations and the 2 DC's communicate and the AD seems to have replicated and seems to work fine.

However, when I try to connect any other PC in the 2nd location to the Domain, it comes up with the following error:

Code:
    A domain controller for the domain {ourdomainname} could not be contacted.
    When I click on details the following is displayed:

Code:
    Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name {ourdomainname} might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain {ourdomainname}:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.{ourdomainname}

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

{ourdomainname}
    . (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
    I have tried various tests, but am unable to see where the error is. It seems to be DNS related, but the DNS all seems to be correct

Should I have the DC's and locations in different sites in the AD? Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas for better ways for me to set this up, or am I doing it correctly and just have missed something?

Many thanks in advance,
    James.
    Last edited by swfblade; 4th October 2006, 11:30.
    James
    MCP

Re: Setting up Domain in 2 locations

Just some questions to try and get a handle on what is going on.

1. On DNS setup; are you set-up as a primary/secondary or have you switched to AD integrated zones?
    2. Why did you set up two sites?
    3. What replication method are you using?
    4. How are the clients receiving the address of a DNS server? Static or DCHP?
    5. You say replication "seems" to have worked. How specifically are you confirming replication.

My first reaction, is that a client on the ourdomain.com network is looking for its domain controller to authenticate to. It makes a request to a DNS server for the IP address associated with the name "ourdomain.com". The DNS server has no reference (that is no SRV record for the domain controller). Therefore the client cannot contact a DC and assumes one does not exist.

Just some thoughts. Will do what I can to help.

Wiley
    MSCA (2000 & 2003), MCSE (2000 & 2003), A+, Net+
    Next exams:70-298, 70-299 & Security+ for MCSE + Security
    "Never argue with a fool, because someone standing 15 feet away will not know which one of you is the fool."

Comment

As a quick attempt at a solution, try running netdiag /fix on the second machine. Should create any missing DNS records.

Wiley
      "Never argue with a fool, because someone standing 15 feet away will not know which one of you is the fool."

Comment

Cheers for the ideas, im not at the 2nd location today, but will be tomorrow.

I did run the netdiag /fix before i posted this topic. The SRV records are there, but the _gc one for the 2nd DC is pointing to the first DC, is that correct?

Just to answer some of the other questions, I set up 2 sites as one of the books I read recommended doing this if the DC's are at different Locations. Should I just run it all as one site then?

DHCP is enabled on the DC's, but obviously they have static IP's.

TBH i am not 100% sure which replication method it is using, as it was about a month ago that i set it up, but coz it was not urgent I've left it untill now. I believe the replication was succesful as if I disconnect the VPN all AD structure etc is still available. Perhaps Ive misunderstood tho.
        James
        MCP

Comment

Sorry to leave you hanging, been away.

Since you are running Server 2003, try the following command:

dcdiag /test:RegisterInDNS /DnsDomain:dc1

Notes: Must be run from DC you want to test, not from Admin workstation.
          Replace dc1 with with the DNS name of the domain that the domain
          controller is in.

Allows you to test whether or not the DC can register its records.

If the test fails, it will provide you several options for resolving the problem.

Also: nltest /dsregdns /server:<DomainControllerName>

Allows you to force registration of the domain-controller-specific resource records.

This info is provided from The Active Directory Cookbook.

Hope we are heading in the right direction,

Wiley

Comment

ok cheers I'll try that. (delay in reply as I've also been elsewhere )
            James
            MCP

Comment

Did you make the second DC a Global catalog server??

Comment

ok because of the time scale in me starting this and not being able to remember what ive tried and what i havent, I am going to Format DC2 and start again.

Has anyone got any tips for the best way for me to set this up? Ive got the DC back at the first location and am going to reinstall and plug physically into the network here while I set her up. Any and all hints & tips are greatly appriciated.
                James
                MCP

Comment

Document what steps you take so you don't forget where you get up to if you are side tracked again. Scribbled notes are ok so long as they are kept in the order that things are done AND you can read them.

Unless you have screwed the pooch read bad, formatting is a drastic action. Did you try a DCPROMO (down), reboot and DCPROMO again? Make sure the DNS setting on DC2 is pointing to DC1 before you DCPROMO.
                  Last edited by biggles77; 25th October 2006, 11:02. Reason: Correcting faulty keyboard :(
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

i would start at the second location the clean install...

first make it a member server (not dcpromo) i mean domain member like a normal desktop... then go to command line and use nslookup commands to see if your DNS is ok... without working DNS it will not work... you should be able to get the ip from your first dc... ok after DNS is working you can run dcpromo... what are you selecting there? after its done... check if AD is replicating... check the sysvol folders... etc...
                    MCSE 2000 Done
                    RHCE Done

Comment

so would it be best for me to setup the DC on the local network in the first location, then ship to the second, or set it up at the second location using the VPN?
                      James
                      MCP

Comment

for easy trouble shooting its best in the same location... so if you get errors you know its not becouse of VPN connection etc
                        MCSE 2000 Done
                        RHCE Done

Comment

Cheers, will give it a go again and let you know the outcome....
                          James
                          MCP

Comment

OK, i've got the DC2 plugged into the first location. Setting it up with AD using dcpromo. However it did not ask me to install DNS during setup, whereas last time it did. Surely this should have happened?

Oh well, can someone advise me on best way to now manually setup DNS on the DC2, so i dont cock it all up again?
                            James
                            MCP

Comment

at the dcpromo command what did you choose?

and if i remember right it if you install an additional dc it should not ask you much questions... just user name and password...
                              MCSE 2000 Done
                              RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                              X