ADMT Computer Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADMT Computer Migration

I am currently migrating from one domain (DOMAIN A) and going to DOMAIN B and only need to migrate the Workstations. I am using the ADMT workstation wizard, but running into a couple of issues.

1. If I do not add the admin from Domain B as a local admin, it does not work.
    2. When I do run the tool, profile user settings like docs and desktop are not migrated. Why?

My understaninf of Computer wizard is:

This means all previous settings, such as desktop appearance, shortcuts, and printers, are lost. This can cause problems for users and the administrators that support them. The Computer Migration Wizard can dispatch an agent to the NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 workstation that will migrate all local user profiles, so when the users log on to the workstation with their new Windows 2000 account, they will receive the same profile settings as before.

Re: ADMT Computer Migration

Originally posted by landrighetti
    1. If I do not add the admin from Domain B as a local admin, it does not work.
    2. When I do run the tool, profile user settings like docs and desktop are not migrated. Why?
    1. This is the intended function of the tool - You must have admin rights on Domain A & B for the tool to work. What is your question?
    2. The ADMT should migrate the user accounts, security groups, machine accounts etc. It won't touch machine local accounts on the clients. Are you getting an error in the log?
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

So, first thing I need to do is ensure Domain Admins for Domain A are part of the Domain Admins od Domain B and viceversa.

Then I run the wizard, and when it asks me for what to migrate, do I select everything in the list like printers, files, and so on, or do I deselect everything?

Comment

Just a comment regarding:
        So, first thing I need to do is ensure Domain Admins for Domain A are part of the Domain Admins od Domain B and viceversa.
        You can't do that. Domain Admins is Domain Global group and hence can not be nested into groups in other domains in the forest.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Clarify Please

You can't do that. Domain Admins is Domain Global group and hence can not be nested into groups in other domains in the forest.

Can you please clarify then what user or group I should add to my Domain A and in which gorup and vise versa. [/quote]

Comment

I should rephrase it:
            Domain Global group can contain members only from the domain the group exists in, hence you can not add accounts from domain B to Domain Admins group in domain A.
            for details:
            http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...sal_groups.htm
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
            X