Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing A Windows 2000 Server - Help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing A Windows 2000 Server - Help!!

Hi,
    I am about to replace an old windows 2000 server with a much faster new one.

How is the best way to approach this task?
    I know I can set the new one up as a DC and this will automatically copy the AD, but wont I have a problem overall as this new one cannot have the old IP address etc. I will have to give it another IP to enable it in the network and set up as a DC. Wont I have problems if I change the IP later after promoting to a DC ie DNS tables etc.

Also, how do I overcome the name problem? I cant call this new server the same as the old one as it will clash. right? so wont I have problems as a DC you cannot change the name right.

Please help. Isnt there a better way to just manually copy the AD over to an identical set up ie name, IP, DNS, DHCP server. Once I copy the AD and remove the old one, put in the new one all should be well.

Am I off target?

HELP!!

Dont let me pull my beautiful hair out!

Re: Replacing A Windows 2000 Server - Help!!

its simple first make it as additional domain controller den transfer the fsmo
    Transfer the Schema Master Role
    Use the Active Directory Schema Master snap-in to transfer the schema master role. Before you can use this snap-in, you must register the Schmmgmt.dll file.

Register Schmmgmt.dll
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. Click OK when you receive the message that the operation succeeded.

Transfer the Schema Master Role
    1. Click Start, click Run, type mmc in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. On the File, menu click Add/Remove Snap-in.
    3. Click Add.
    4. Click Active Directory Schema, click Add, click Close, and then click OK.
    5. In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Schema, and then click Change Domain Controller.
    6. Click Specify Name, type the name of the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK.
    7. In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Schema, and then click Operations Master.
    8. Click Change.
    9. Click OK to confirm that you want to transfer the role, and then click Close.

Back to the top

Transfer the Domain Naming Master Role
    1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Domains and Trusts.
    2. Right-click Active Directory Domains and Trusts, and then click Connect to Domain Controller.

NOTE: You must perform this step if you are not on the domain controller to which you want to transfer the role. You do not have to perform this step if you are already connected to the domain controller whose role you want to transfer.
    3. Do one of the following: • In the Enter the name of another domain controller box, type the name of the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK.

-or-
    • In the Or, select an available domain controller list, click the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK.

4. In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Domains and Trusts, and then click Operations Master.
    5. Click Change.
    6. Click OK to confirm that you want to transfer the role, and then click Close.

Back to the top

Transfer the RID Master, PDC Emulator, and Infrastructure Master Roles
    1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2. Right-click Active Directory Users and Computers, and then click Connect to Domain Controller.

NOTE: You must perform this step if you are not on the domain controller to which you want to transfer the role. You do not have to perform this step if you are already connected to the domain controller whose role you want to transfer.
    3. Do one of the following: • In the Enter the name of another domain controller box, type the name of the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK.

-or-
    • In the Or, select an available domain controller list, click the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK.

4. In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Users and Computers, point to All Tasks, and then click Operations Master.
    5. Click the appropriate tab for the role that you want to transfer (RID, PDC, or Infrastructure), and then click Change.
    6. Click OK to confirm that you want to transfer the role, and then click Close.
    Refrences :- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801

den configure dns with same reverse lookup zone as per current setup
    after transfer of fsmo your adc with act as PDC and degrade your current pdc to workstation by dcpromo
    any more help

Comment

Thanx Parvez, but will the new DC be the same name?
      I need it to be the same name with teh same IP ect.
      Does this change any of the plans you outline for me.

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by suzywest
        Thanx Parvez, but will the new DC be the same name?
        I need it to be the same name with teh same IP ect.
        Does this change any of the plans you outline for me.

Thank you again!
        Why do you need it to have the same name and IP?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
          Why do you need it to have the same name and IP?
          It needs to be the same as all outside services will be looking for the same server, TS, remote access, etc. Also it has NAV corporate, the parent server (old PDC) is named as SVR1. If this changes, I will have to reload AV again to make it SVR2 wont I? I wanted to avoid this as much as possible.

Is there a work around for the AV, if so I will rename it SVR2 and decomishion SVR1 and just go with that.

What I was hoping (in an ideal world) was giving the new server SVR1 name and same IP as the old one. Copying AD over manuall and then swapping the servers. Thats it. Is that not possible?

Thanks guys!

Comment

I'm more familiar with 2003 and I know that it can be done with 2003 but it is still something that shouldn't be done if possible. I'm pretty sure that it's not even an option with 2000.

all outside services will be looking for the same server, TS, remote access, etc
            Well I would need more information on your topology to answer this definitively but I imagine that re-pointing to the new server should be easy.

Also it has NAV corporate, the parent server (old PDC) is named as SVR1
            Not familiar but I'm sure their tech support could help you with this. Though it may work if you setup NAV on the new server, demote and remove the old server, then add a CNAME record with the old server's name and point that to the new server.... but again, I'm not familiar with the workings of NAV.
            Last edited by JeremyW; 21st November 2006, 06:54.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

as u knwon u cant have two same machine name in a same network
              if ur PDC was windows 2003 server then u can change the name by using rendom tool but u have 2000 server then make ur adc to previous name

and as per document by symantec if u want to transfer your parent server to other machine u should have same machine and ip as previouse parent server

still i will check if there is any others solutions

Comment

I can do this by swing migration assuming that this is a single forest/domain.
                I add another temp DC to the domain (which happens to be a Virtual PC on my laptop). I then remove all traces of the original DC using ADSIEdit and ntdsutil. I can then add "back" a new DC with the original name and IP of the old server and finally remove all traces of the temp DC using the same utilities.
                HTH
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
                  I can do this by swing migration assuming that this is a single forest/domain.
                  I add another temp DC to the domain (which happens to be a Virtual PC on my laptop). I then remove all traces of the original DC using ADSIEdit and ntdsutil. I can then add "back" a new DC with the original name and IP of the old server and finally remove all traces of the temp DC using the same utilities.
                  HTH

BINGO!!

But why would you want to go through the steps of removeing all traces of the original DC when you are just replacing it with a new on with same name and IP? Does this step matter? As I see it teh temp DC will copy over the AD, then replce the PDC with the new DC and establish trusts and copy over the AD?

Did I miss something?

Thx sooooooo much you guys!! Youre the BEST!!
                  Last edited by suzywest; 26th September 2006, 09:21.

Comment

But why would you want to go through the steps of removeing all traces of the original DC when you are just replacing it with a new on with same name and IP?
                    Because the DC's computer account has a GUID, when you create the new "SVR1", although the Friendly Name is the same, Active Directory and DNS see it as a different computer. That's why the traces of the first one need to be removed.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Because the DC's computer account has a GUID, when you create the new "SVR1", although the Friendly Name is the same, Active Directory and DNS see it as a different computer. That's why the traces of the first one need to be removed.

I see. After removing traces of the old server (on the temp server) will I need to promote the temp server to a PDC b4 bringing in the new server with same name and IP? Does this matter at all. What status should I give to the new one (at install) before it joins the network. Should it be PDC (only server in the network)?

Comment

I see. After removing traces of the old server (on the temp server) will I need to promote the temp server to a PDC b4 bringing in the new server with same name and IP?
                        With the introduction of Active Directory it also means the exit for PDCs and BDCs. All DCs have an editable copy of the directory.

What you'll need to do is transfer all the FSMO roles to the temp server, demote (dcpromo) the old server and delete the account in ADU&C, install and promote (dcpromo) the new server, transfer the FSMO roles to the new server, demote the temp server.

After thinking about it, I'm not sure why you'd need to remove the traces if you demote the server properly. But Steven knows a TON more than I do so I'd wait for him or somebody else more knowledgeable than myself to reply.

What status should I give to the new one (at install) before it joins the network.
                        I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean.
                        Last edited by JeremyW; 27th September 2006, 14:36.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

With the introduction of Active Directory it also means the exit for PDCs and BDCs. All DCs have an editable copy of the directory.

What you'll need to do is transfer all the FSMO roles to the temp server, demote (dcpromo) the old server and delete the account in ADU&C, install and promote (dcpromo) the new server, transfer the FSMO roles to the new server, demote the temp server.

After thinking about it, I'm not sure why you'd need to remove the traces if you demote the server properly. But Steven knows a TON more than I do so I'd wait for him or somebody else more knowledgeable than myself to reply.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean.

DERRR is me! Of course there is no PDC in a 2000 domain! DERR!

Quick question, why do I need to demote the old one if I am pulling it and replacing it with a new one. Say after transfering FSMO to temp server, can I just swap the old svr with new svr and then transfer the FSMO? The only thing I can think of is that traces of the old svr must be removed before the new identical naming svr comes in? Correct?

Also, what do you mean by, "and delete the account in ADU&C", do you mean the computer name or user accounts? Once a server is demoted, I thought AD goes with it?

Thanks. I have been thrown in at the deep end for my company. I wish they could have given me a bit more time to study all this! LOL!

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Quick question, why do I need to demote the old one if I am pulling it and replacing it with a new one. Say after transfering FSMO to temp server, can I just swap the old svr with new svr and then transfer the FSMO? The only thing I can think of is that traces of the old svr must be removed before the new identical naming svr comes in? Correct?
                            Correct. If you don't demote the server, AD and DNS will think there's another DC in the domain that it will try query, replicate to, etc., etc.

Also, what do you mean by, "and delete the account in ADU&C", do you mean the computer name or user accounts? Once a server is demoted, I thought AD goes with it?
                            When you demote a DC it becomes a member server that still has an account in AD.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Suzy, if you want to play catchup real quick and get out of the deep end that you have been thrown into, have a look at Labs 1 & 4 at Train Signal. I like to think I am somewhat superficially familiar with Windows 2003 Server but having used the Labs I found I learnt a substantial amount of usuable and practical information. Have a read of the reviews and see if you think they would be useful for you. (Personally I would recommend the whole series.)

Lab 1 Review
                              Lab 4 Review

Sorry if it sounds like an ad, but it isn't meant to be. I sincerely believe the Train Signal Labs are superb as I respond to that type of learning.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X